Teflon vs Ceramic Coating For Bikes
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
Are you missing the glamour of your bike? Are you longing for that colour and gleam from when it was new? The gleam, colour, allure. Even if it wasn't an overwhelming experience, it could have been delightful. If you're a bike fanatic, your bike should be spotless and bright. Unfortunately, this fairy tale does not last long. The bike will acquire dust. So there will be a few scuffs.
Over time, the paint starts to lose its brilliance. But what if there was a way to bring your bike back to its former glory? If your answer is in the affirmative, you need to look no further than a Teflon coating and a Ceramic coating of paint on your beloved bike.
Now, do not let the wonderful idea of a Teflon and a Ceramic coating sway you from reality. Before making any rash decisions, try to determine the Teflon coating price and Ceramic coating price. These prices can come as a rude awakening to you, but good things do not come cheap.
But just thinking about the exterior of your bike is not enough. You should think about the overall well-being of your bike. This well-being comes from getting insurance for your bike. Bike insurance acts as the first line of defence in the case of an accident.
No matter how carefully or well you drive, things may go wrong at any given time. In such cases, insurance for your bike comes to your aid. Also, keep in mind that bike insurance is mandatory in India, and if you are found driving without it, the repercussions can be severe.
Tata AIG offers you bike insurance online so that you can secure your bike with ease. Tata AIG offers you third-party insurance for your bike, a comprehensive bike insurance policy and standalone own damage cover. You can also buy long-term two-wheeler insurance so that you do not have to renew your bike insurance policy every year, as your bike will be insured for 2 to 3 years. Moreover, the online claim process is simple and easy to follow. Now that you know how to provide for the well-being of your bike let us see how you can make it look better.
What is a Teflon Coating for your Bike?
Before we delve into Teflon vs ceramic coating, let us understand what Teflon coating is. Teflon coating for bikes' main purpose is to keep the paintwork undamaged for a long time. Many bike retailers and service shops advise utilising this type of coating known as Paint Protection Coating.
PTFE stands for polytetrafluoroethylene. It is a special material. Polytetrafluoroethylene is known by the brand name Teflon. A TC solution will coat your bike's paint with a protective coating. It also enhances the paint's shine and sheen.
The Teflon Coating Process
- To eliminate any dust particles, the bike is cleaned externally.
- The bike's exterior must be wiped down with caution.
- Before applying the chemical, the bike is thoroughly greased.
- The coating should dry in around 15 to 30 minutes.
After it has dried, the bike is cleaned with a buffing machine to eliminate minor imperfections and give it a gleaming shine. Thus, this is the process of Teflon coating for bikes.
Advantages of Teflon Coating
Some advantages of Teflon coating are;
- The most significant advantage of putting a Teflon coat on your bike is that it will have a gorgeous lustre immediately afterwards.
- If there are any little scratches on the paint, they will be wiped away during the procedure.
- Because of the protective layer, little scrapes will not be capable of harming the paint.
- If several sessions accompany the TC application, the bike's paint will last longer.
Disadvantages of Teflon Coating
Some drawbacks of Teflon Coating are;
- Until it is administered on a routine basis, this coating will not provide long-term advantages. To reap the rewards, you must repeat the technique two to three times a year.
- Teflon coating price may be high in the long run based on the dimensions of the bike and the service supplier.
- It's tough to tell whether the solution provider provided the correct TC or utilised a less expensive substitute,
so pay attention and have faith in the service provider. If the service provider applies wax or just shines the bike with a machine, it will offer a Teflon-like sheen for a while.
What is Ceramic Coating for Bikes?
Ceramic coating for bikes aims to provide better paint protection for the bike's paint. It is one notch higher when compared to a Teflon coating. This is because ceramic coating attaches to the bikes' paint on a cellular scale, creating a dust and filth barrier.
Ceramic coating refers to a liquid polymer-based clear coat. This kind of coating can last for years after just one application. For example, some people use CC on new bikes to keep them looking shiny and ensure that the paint lasts.
Now that we have seen the main points of contrast between teflon vs ceramic coating let us delve into the advantages and disadvantages of both.
The Ceramic Coating Process
- Pre-wash the bike to remove dirt, dust, and bird droppings.
- Clean the bike with soap, water or other treatments.
- Rinse thoroughly after washing.
- Implement the solution.
- Clean the area by rinsing, buffing, and drying it.
- Using a polishing product, polish the surface (non-wax).
- Polish the bike evenly with polishing machinery.
- Wipe the bike down once again.
Advantages of Ceramic Coating
Some advantages of Ceramic coating are:
- It adds an additional level of coverage against typical pollutants to the bike's paintwork.
- It has a negligible effect on the paint.
- The organic bonding process used in the coating guarantees that it will remain for a long time.
- Cleaning a bike with a CC is simple.
- It enhances the overall cosmetic charm of the bike.
Disadvantages of Ceramic Coating
Some disadvantages of using a Ceramic coating are:
- The ceramic coating price is significantly higher than the cost of a TC. It's an expensive procedure, especially when it comes to a bike.
- It may take multiple sessions to complete the process.
- Professionals must complete the CC process. If not, it may be unsightly and distract from the overall appearance of your bike.
Difference Between Teflon Coating vs Ceramic Coating
Here is the comparison between Teflon coating vs Ceramic coating:
|Particulars||Ceramic Coating||Teflon Coating|
|Chemical Used||SiC or Silicon Carbide||PTFE or Polytetrafluoroethylene|
|Lasts For||Several Years||Less Than a Year|
|Type of Coat||Clearing Coating||Artificial Wax|
|Thickness of coating film||0.02 microns||2 microns|
|Expense||Ceramic coating price is higher than Teflon||Teflon coating price is comparatively cheap|
|Protects Against||Scratches, rusting, ultraviolet (UV) rays, and oxidation.||Scratches and rust|
If you wish to make the appearance of your bike more attractive, a Teflon and Ceramic coating may both give you the results you need. You are now aware of the comparison between Teflon vs Ceramic coating. The choice is yours and depends on your budget, the time you have in hand, and your plan. Making your bike attractive is not enough. You must also secure it with a bike insurance policy. Thus, get your insurance for your bike from Tata AIG today!
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.