- What is Bariatric Surgery? How Can Health Insurance Help?
Five years ago, 36-year old Raju was bearing a heavy frame of 136 kg with a BMI greater than 40. Regular activities like walking and climbing up the stairs became a challenge for him. It was a miserable.
But Raju managed to come out of it as a survivor. Now, he weighs much less than he used to be!
Want to know how? Well, he opted for bariatric surgery upon advice of doctor. It is a safe weight-loss surgery that helps to lose excess weight.
- Who needs bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery is an alternative for losing weight after all other options such as dieting, regular exercising and working out have failed. This surgery is recommended for those:
- Having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or higher.
- People, who are obese and have several weight-related problems like type 2 diabetes, sleep apnoea, or high blood pressure.
- How to undergo bariatric surgery?
To undergo bariatric surgery, you need to follow a rigorous diet plan. You must accompany it with a daily exercise schedule to avoid weight gain post-surgery. While there are certain risks involved, it is a safe alternative to lose weight. The risks entailed in this surgical process include infections, internal bleeding, or blood clotting in the lungs.
- How much does bariatric surgery cost?
It is an expensive treatment that approximate costs anywhere between 2.5-5 lakhs. The cost depends on several factors including the type of surgery opted for, the surgeon’s fee, and the chosen hospital. Additional costs might include fees of instruments used, surgical assistant, consultancy, anaesthesia, and follow-up procedures.
- How can health insurance help in bariatric surgery?
The coverage for Bariatric surgery depends on the plan selected by you. Most of the insurers accept the claims for treating morbid obesity having life-threatening conditions or co-morbidities.
With Tata AIG MediCare (UIN: TATHLIP18004V011819), you get Bariatric Surgery cover as a part of its unique No Compromise Features. Under this cover, upon the advice of a doctor, you can get insured for reasonable expenses.
Generally, you need to provide proof that the surgery is medically essential.
- What to claim for bariatric surgery?
There are some specific conditions that you must meet to claim Bariatric surgery.
· It includes several tests and authorisation from your surgeon. You need to submit your medical reports and descriptions to make the claims.
· Your BMI has to be 40 or above.
· In case your BMI is 35 or above, and you are facing health issues such as sleep apnea, Type 2 Diabetes and heart-related problems.
- What are the exclusions to know?
- Claims arising due to condition that commenced within 30 days of the date of policy commencement are not covered
- Claims for pre-existing conditions are also not covered.
The best way to avail the benefits of bariatric surgery in your health insurance policy is by doing proper research before opting for health insurance.
Tata AIG MediCare (UIN: TATHLIP18004V011819), provides Bariatric Surgery along with providing other beneficial features like Global Cover, reinstatement of sum insured and much more.
Think Ahead. Make informed decisions and choose the right health insurance partner!
For more information, Call Toll Free No: 1800 266 1363
Related article: AYUSH benefits for your wellness