Health Insurance Covering Cataract Surgery
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
Protecting your eye and maintaining its good health should be a priority in your life. It is something that is most important at every stage in your life. A cataract is an eye condition that can develop in individuals as you get older, and if left untreated, it can lead to partial or complete blindness. Therefore, you must stay prepared to pay for such expenses if it affects your eye. So, how can you stay financially protected? Is cataract surgery covered by Insurance? Well, yes! A health insurance plan can cover cataract surgery expenses in India. Let us get into the details to understand cataract surgery covered by insurance.
What Does Cataract Surgery Insurance Mean?
A health insurance policy that can cover the expenses to treat a cataract is called cataract surgery insurance. The policy features and the extent of the sum insured will be based on your insurance provider.
What Is Cataract?
A cataract is the development of a dense cloudy area on the normal lens of your eye. It is common among older adults and can be caused due to various reasons such as exposure to ultraviolet radiation, smoking, the prevalence of diabetes, use of steroids, overproduction of oxidants, radiation therapy, etc.,
Some of the most common symptoms include blurry vision, double vision, trouble viewing things at night, sensitivity to glare, etc. Also, if there are frequent changes in your prescription glass, you are highly likely to develop a cataract.
There are different types of cataracts based on the cause and the area wherein it develops on the eye, such as Nuclear Cataracts, Posterior Capsular Cataracts, Radiation Cataracts, Congenital Cataracts, etc.
Why Is It Important To Purchase Cataract Surgery Insurance in India?
Purchasing cataract surgery insurance in India is important for the following reasons:
1. Surgery is the only cure- According to research by the National Institute of Health, surgery is the only cure available for treating a cataract condition in your eye. Unfortunately, there is no possible natural cure. Therefore, if you get affected due to a cataract, you need to get the surgery done at the earliest.
2. Indians contract the disease at an early age- The average age at which Indians contract a cataract is found to be 50 years of age. So, you must stay precautious to get treated if there is an emergency.
3. Untreated cataracts can lead to blindness- If you slightly delay your surgery procedure or take it lightly, based on the age and the aggravated eye condition, cataracts can lead to partial or complete blindness. Secure yourself and your family members by purchasing medical insurance at the right time and include sufficient cover to manage the expenses.
4.Surgery can restore the vision- Surgery is the only treatment and safest method to cure a cataract. And the best part about surgery for cataracts is that it can completely restore your vision without any side effects. If you can afford to pay for the surgery with the cataract surgery insurance coverage in India, then your vision is secured under any circumstances.
5.Surgery is a simple procedure- Surgery for cataracts is not a complicated process. The process takes a few hours and is not very painful. You might have to get admitted for just a day.
How Much Does A Cataract Surgery Cost In India?
The cost of cataract surgeries in India is predominantly based on the type of cataract. However, it also largely depends on the hospital and the place of your stay.
Let us discuss the approximate cost of some of the most common types of cataract surgeries:
Phacoemulsification Cataract Surgery- It is the most common type of cataract surgery. The surgery is done by providing local anaesthesia and making small in the affected cornea by breaking the cataract and removing it completely. It costs approximately ₹40,000 for one affected eye.
Extra Capsular Cataract Surgery- It is a type of cataract surgery based on slightly larger incisions than Phacoemulsification cataract surgery and costs between ₹40,000 and ₹60,000 for one affected eye.
Bladeless Cataract Surgery- It is the latest method to treat a cataract and is based on a computer-guided femtosecond laser that dissolves the cataract. It does not involve incision methods to cure the affected eye and costs around ₹85,000 to ₹1,20,000.
How Can You Benefit From Health Insurance For Cataracts?
Health insurance can help you with the necessary financial assistance to get your cataract treated with the following benefits:
1. Financial support for the rising medical costs- Based on the rising medical costs, you can get yourself insured and, if necessary, your family with a health insurance plan to afford the medical expenses. You can use the sum insured to pay for the surgeries, medicines and other treatment expenses.
2. Essential covers and benefits- A health insurance plan can cover the pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization charges. It will be based on your sum insured and the premium. At Tata AIG, we provide a cumulative 'No Claim Bonus' for every claim year. It entitles you to an enhancement in your sum insured without any corresponding increase in the health insurance premium.
3. Advanced online processes- With technological advancement, you can compare, select and purchase a health insurance plan online at the comfort of being at your home or office. There is also the provision to renew, make a claim filing and track the claim completely online. You can receive the necessary policy documents either online or through WhatsApp.
4. Cashless or Reimbursement Benefits- If you choose to get the cataract surgery done in any of our network of hospitals, you can benefit from the cashless treatment. At Tata AIG, we have tied up with 7200+ hospitals across India. On the other hand, if you prefer to get the surgery done at a different hospital, you can always pay for the expenses from your pocket and later claim for the expenses incurred by submitting the necessary medical bills.
5. Tax Benefits - The amount you pay for the health insurance premium qualifies for a tax deduction under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961. You can receive [health insurance tax benefits]("https://www.tataaig.com/health-insurance/health-insurance-tax-benefits ") upto ₹50,000 if you are a senior citizen and ₹25,000 if you are below 60 years of age.
A cataract is a common problem in India. It is an eye condition that can affect your lens and lead to partial or complete blindness if left untreated. Surgery is the only possible cure and is a simple procedure. However, the costs to get your affected eye treated can range between ₹40,000 and ₹1,20,000.
You can benefit from the required financial assistance when time demands by purchasing a health insurance plan that can cover the cataract surgery expenses! So, be prepared and invest in a health insurance plan to stay protected!