How to Apply for Passport? Online and Offline
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
There may be several reasons why you may want to travel. Be it a vacation, work, education, immigration, pilgrimage, family get-together, or something else. Regardless of why you undertake your journey, it is important to be prepared with the right documents. The most prudent way of doing this is by maintaining a checklist of the essential travel documents such as your passport, visa, flight tickets, travel insurance, etc.
Individuals travelling abroad for the first time can feel overwhelmed and confused about procuring essential travel documents such as a passport. However, the passport application process is not very complicated, especially when you know how to go about it. When you apply for a new passport, there are essentially two things you want to ensure: carry the right documents and be aware of the process. Let’s look at both offline and online passport application methods so that you can choose a convenient alternative for yourself
Online Passport Application
The most convenient way to apply for a passport in India is by choosing passport seva online. This method is particularly helpful for those who are pressed for time and are looking for a hassle-free way for a passport application. Here is the process for online passport registration:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of Passport Seva online and register yourself by clicking on the tab that reads “Apply.” If your registration has been previously completed, you can simply log in to the website using your ID and password.
- Step 2: Once you log in to the website, you will need to click on the tab that reads “Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport.” Note that the applicant must not own a passport when they apply for a new passport under the fresh passport category.
- Step 3: You will then be expected to fill out the passport application form for online passport registration. Ensure that you fill in all the details accurately and once it is done, click on the “submit” button.
- Step 4: Now return to the home page and select the tab “View Saved/Submitted Applications”.
- Step 5: Following this, you will have to “Pay and Schedule Appointment” by clicking on the respective tab.
- Step 6: You can choose a suitable Passport Seva Kendra (passport office) and then make the payment. You can either make a digital payment or opt for a Challan payment.
Once the process has been completed, you can download a copy of the application receipt by clicking on the button that reads “Print Application Receipt.” This receipt will comprise your application reference number.
After the completion of this process, you will receive an SMS on your registered mobile number containing the appointment details. This is a confirmation of your appointment details at the Passport Seva Kendra. When you visit the passport office, ensure that you have all the essential documents ready (both copies and originals) as proof of your identification and your place of residence.
The process for a passport application online and offline are not very different from each other. The primary difference lies in the method of filling out the application form. Let’s have a look at how you can apply for a passport in India offline.
Offline Passport Application
Now that we have learnt the passport application online process, let’s take a look at how the offline process works. The only difference between the online and offline processes is the difference in form submission. In the offline process, the applicant fills out an e-form.
Here are the details of how the process works:
Step 1: After visiting the Passport Seva website, you will have to click on the link to download an e-copy or a soft copy of the application form.
Step 2: Once there, you will have to choose the type of application form:
Fresh Passport/Reissue Passport
Police Clearance Certificate
Diplomatic Passport/Official Passport
Step 3: Choose the application type and download the form. Duly fill the form with relevant details and then click on the “Upload E-Form” link.
Step 4: After you fill the form, you will simply have to upload it and then schedule, pay for, and book your appointment.
Once the aforementioned steps have been completed, you can choose to pay either online or at your visit to the Passport Seva office. If you book an offline form, you will have to submit the necessary documents and forms at your nearest Passport Seva office along with the fee.
Documents Needed for the Passport Application Process
When applying for a new passport, individuals will need the following documents:
Proof of address (any one of the following:
- Any of the utility bills; for example, electricity bill, water bill, gas bill, etc.
- Assessment order of your income tax, photo ID of the election commission
- Agreement of the place you are renting at or your Aadhar Card
- In case a minor is applying for his/her passport, they might need a copy of the first and last page of their parent’s passport
Proof of Birth (any one of the following):
- Birth certificate that has been issued by the Registrar of Birth and Death or Municipal Corporation or another prescribed authority
- Voter ID card
- Aadhar card
- PAN card
Any document that acts as proof of any of the Non-ECR categories
Importance of Travel Insurance
When individuals travel, they commonly think of things such as their accommodation and their itinerary. However, if you don’t plan for contingency situations, all your travel planning can go haphazard. Therefore, it is essential to secure every journey with a comprehensive travel insurance plan.
Your international travel insurance is designed to take care of any unforeseeable circumstance when you are away from home. Whether it is situations such as loss of passport, misplaced luggage, trip curtailment, etc., you can simply raise a travel insurance claim and can be safely assisted out of the situation. Your travel insurance plan ensures that you are not stranded in an unknown destination without help.
Imagine you encounter a distressing situation such as losing your passport when travelling. In such a scenario, you can use your international travel insurance to help you cover the expenses of getting a new passport. The travel insurance plan by Tata AIG is designed to assist you when travelling, so you and your loved ones are protected from mishaps when you are busy having fun. Your international travel insurance helps you save your hard-earned money.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.