Best Travel Credit Cards in 2023
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
Travelling insurance makes your travel smooth if you are a frequent traveller and often go on business or leisure trips. Travel insurance covers financial and medical risks on your trip and covers you in a wide array of situations like lost baggage, flight disruptions, and even trip cancellations. Along with taking the right travel insurance plan for your safety, you can also opt for travel credit cards to collect perks and rewards on your trip.
Here is everything you need to know about credit cards with travel benefits and the various types of travel credit cards you can choose from.
What are Travel Credit Cards
Travel credit cards are simply credit cards with travel benefits. The best travel credit cards in India offer points, miles, or cashback to cardholders on travel expenses and spending. Using the rewards earned on your travel points credit card, you can book flights and hotels for almost no out-of-pocket expense. They may also offer airport lounge access and a complimentary elite status, elevating your travel experience.
Types of Credit Cards with Travel Benefits
The best travel rewards credit cards can be categorised as follows:
- Transferable rewards credit cards: You can redeem the miles and rewards earned on a transferable rewards credit card directly or transfer them to your travel partner. The flexibility you get to redeem the points earned on this travel points credit card adds to the value of the points you can earn on your credit card spending.
- Airline credit cards: These are airline co-branded credit cards, and you can earn specific airline miles to redeem them on your next flight booking. Airline credit cards may offer additional privileges, like free checked bags, priority boarding, and inflight discounts.
- Hotel credit cards: Hotel credit cards offer rewards and redeemable points at particular hotels. The best travel card with a hotel co-branding may offer you free award night stays or a complimentary elite status.
- Fixed-value credit cards: Beginners who may find miles and points confusing may opt for a fixed-value credit card. These cards offer points that are redeemable for the same value always.
Travel Card Benefits
The best travel credit card offers the following features and benefits to cardholders:
Welcome benefits: You can enjoy several reward points or air miles as a welcome gift once your credit card gets approved. You can redeem these points as air miles during your international or domestic travels or even get free tickets with selected airlines.
Airport lounge access: Travel credit cards may offer complimentary access to domestic and international airport lounges. You can relax and enjoy the services and privileges offered by airport lounges at no additional cost with the points you earn on your travel credit cards. These privileges may get extended to your friends and family members accompanying you in some cases.
Travel insurance: Some travel credit cards offer comprehensive travel insurance to have your back when you are travelling. Travel insurance keeps you stress-free and prepares you for unforeseen emergencies during your travel.
Protection against lost cards: In case you lose your travel credit card while travelling, some credit cards put zero liability on unauthorised transactions made on your credit card. Just ensure you report it to the credit card provider within the stipulated time.
Reward points: Use your travel credit card to make holiday and air ticket bookings and earn rewards points to buy merchandise and gifts.
Air miles: Another way of enjoying benefits on your travel credit card is by earning air miles. Collect air miles on your credit card purchases and use them to pay for air travel.
Annual fee waiver: Many credit card providers offer an annual fee waiver on minimum spending on a travel credit card.
Miscellaneous benefits: Some credit cards with travel benefits offer cardholders a host of other benefits. These may include free golf lessons, movie tickets, discount coupons on popular brands, and dining coupons.
How to Use Your Travel Credit Card Wisely
Follow these dos and don'ts to make the best use of your travel point credit card:
- Compare various travel credit cards available and choose the one most suitable to your travel needs.
- To use it best, have a detailed understanding of what your travel card offers.
- Redeem your points where you can get the maximum benefit.
- Do not miss to keep a tab on your rewards and points so they don't expire.
- Do not miss paying your credit card bill on time to avoid late payment penalties.
- Do not forget to set a reasonable limit on your credit card when travelling. Additionally, ensure that it covers your expenses without exposing you to unnecessary liability if the card gets lost or stolen.
How to Apply for a Travel Credit Card Online
The steps commonly involved in applying online for a credit card with travel benefits are as follows:
- Visit the credit card provider's website and choose the best travel card that matches your requirements.
- Submit the required details to check your eligibility for the credit card.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, fill out and submit the online application form.
- Once you apply, the credit card provider will take your application forward.
How to Choose the Best Travel Card
With credit card companies offering a variety of travel cards, how do you choose the best one? We've got you covered here. First, utilise the following criteria to narrow down your search for the best travel card for your needs:
- Welcome offer value: Credit card companies offer a lucrative sign-up bonus and welcome gifts to attract potential customers. You can opt for a credit card offering the best welcome offer to customers to encash the opportunity.
- Earning rate: While the welcome offer is essential, the card's long-term value is equally important.
- Travel credits and travel benefits: The best travel credit cards in India offer a bouquet of benefits and credits to cardholders. You can pick a card that offers the benefits you are most likely to avail of.
- Foreign transaction fee: If you make frequent international travels or make purchases on websites hosted abroad, choose a travel card that does not levy a foreign transaction fee. It will help you save significantly on your credit card purchases abroad.
- Travel insurance coverage: Travel insurance is an absolute necessity in the current times. Consider selecting a credit card that offers complimentary travel insurance. You can opt for a separate travel insurance plan for more in-depth travel insurance coverage, like flight cancellation insurance. We at Tata AIG bring you specially curated domestic and international travel insurance plans so that you can focus on making your trip memorable. At the same time, we take care of your security.
A travel credit card allows you to travel without carrying hefty cash. Moreover, you can enjoy several benefits and offers on the spending and expenses you make on your travel credit card. You can choose the credit card with travel benefits that suit your credit requirements and offers benefits you avail more frequently.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.