How to Change Name and Address in Passport?
The passport is an important document of identification when you travel abroad. As it is a crucial document verifying your identity in an unknown country, it is essential to ensure that your passport is updated at all times. Sometimes things in your life may change, such as your place of residence or if you have chosen to change your name after marriage, etc. These details need to be updated in your passport.
With the advent of the internet, one can complete name change and passport address change online. On another note, as the passport is such a crucial travel document, travellers must secure it with a comprehensive travel insurance policy. This is because you can use your travel insurance in case you misplace your passport when you are travelling.
Let’s now understand the process for passport address change and name change.
How to Change Your Name on Your Passport?
An individual who wishes to have their name altered (which can happen if their name is misspelt) or changed will have to apply for a reissue of their passport. Here are the steps to follow to apply for a re-issuance of passport online:
- Step 1: Visit the official Passport Seva website and click on the “Register Now” tab.
- Step 2: Once you have registered, you can now log in to the website using your login ID and password. After you log in, click on the “Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport” tab.
- Step 3: Duly fill out the application form and verify all the details before you submit it.
- Step 4: You will then be provided with a link, and as you click on it, you will be redirected to the payments page. Once you make the payment, you can schedule an appointment at the nearest passport office.
- Step 5: Finally, click on the tab that reads “Print Application Receipt” to get the challan, which comprises your application reference number. You will then have to go to the passport office on the scheduled date with the relevant documents.
You can also choose to download the e-form and upload the same after it has been duly filled in to book your appointment at the passport office.
Documents Required for Name Change in Passport
If you wish to rectify or change your name in your passport, you will be expected to carry the following documents for your appointment in the passport office:
- Marriage certificate (original along with a copy)
- A self-attested copy of the passport of your spouse
- Proof of your current address
- Self-attested copies of the first and last pages of your old passport. It must also include the non-ECR page (if applicable).
- The old passport of the applicant must also contain the observation page and the validity extension page (if applicable).
Applicants who have gotten divorced will have to submit a court-certified copy of their divorce decree or a self-attested copy of the divorce certificate to the passport office.
Now that we have acquainted ourselves with the process and documents needed to get your name changed in your passport, let’s move on to understand the passport address change process.
How to Complete Passport Address Change?
If you have changed your address, you will also need to update passport address. Here is the process for passport address change online:
- Step 1: Register yourself on the official Passport Seva website and then log in using your ID and password. Every new user must complete the registration process to avail of any service on the Passport Seva website.
- Step 2: Once you log in on the website, you will have to choose your nearest passport office and then enter details such as your name and date of birth.
- Step 3: You will then receive an activation link in your email and once you click on it, you will then have to click on the tab that reads “Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport”.
After this is done, you will have to book an appointment at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra. The applicant will have to fill out the form with all the necessary details about their updated address for passport address change in India. You can also download an e-form from the website, fill it out, and upload it as an XML file.
Now that we know the process, let’s take a look at the passport address change documents.
Documents Required for Address Change in Passport
For passport address change in India, you will need to ensure that all your passport address change documents are ready before your appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra. Here are the documents required for address change in passport:
- Original passport
- Online application copy
- A copy of your payment receipt or your challan
- Current proof of address such as your Aadhaar card or any of your utility bills such as your water bill or electricity bill, or even your voter ID card, etc.
- A self-attested copy of the observation page in your passport that is made by the passport issuing authority
- Passport of your spouse (the applicant’s address must match the address mentioned in their spouse’s passport)
Once you ready the necessary documents, you will also need to pay the passport address change fee. Having understood the passport address change process and the documents needed, the last thing to do is know the passport address change fee.
Applicable Fee for Changing Passport Address or Name
A change in personal details, such as your address or your name, has to be done with a reissue of the passport.
For the reissue of the passport, the application fee is ₹2000. This is the same if you exhausted your visa pages and need an additional booklet. With a 10-year validity on your passport, an individual is expected to pay ₹2000 for 60 pages and ₹1500 for 36 pages. For availing of the tatkal services, an individual must pay an additional ₹2000.
The reissue of a passport in case of minors (with 5-year validity) is ₹1000 for 36 pages and for tatkal services, an additional fee of ₹2000 is needed.
Importance of a Travel Insurance Plan for International Journeys
Having learned how to update passport address and change your name on your passport, it becomes important to safeguard your passport with a comprehensive travel insurance plan.
Travel insurance is a unique financial product that is designed to take care of contingency scenarios when you travel. Imagine that you have misplaced your passport in an unknown country – this can be a greatly distressing situation. In such a scenario, you can simply raise a claim against your travel insurance policy to assist you with obtaining a new passport in a foreign country. Your travel insurance plan will also compensate for the reasonable expenses involved in making a new passport.
Aside from passport safety, the travel insurance by Tata AIG also secures travellers against unpleasant scenarios such as loss of baggage, trip curtailment, medical emergencies, etc. However, before investing in a travel insurance policy, it is always advised to compare travel insurance plans and ensure it covers all your investment needs.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.