How to Apply for Student Passport in India
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
Embarking on a journey to pursue higher education abroad is an exciting and transformative experience. As an aspiring student eager to explore new horizons, one crucial step is acquiring a student passport. This document is essential for international travel and facilitates your overseas educational aspirations.
For Indian students aspiring to study abroad, obtaining a student passport is a fundamental requirement. However, navigating the application process can be daunting without proper guidance.
Fear not! This comprehensive blog will walk you through the step-by-step process of applying for a student passport in India. From gathering the necessary documents required for passport verification for students to scheduling appointments and navigating the complexities of the passport application system, we have got you covered.
So, let’s dive in!
What is a Student Passport?
A student passport is a specialised travel document issued to students planning to study abroad. It is an official identification and travel document allowing students to pursue their educational endeavours in foreign countries.
The student passport typically includes personal information, such as the student's name, photograph, date of birth, and relevant visa information. It is a vital document that grants students the right to travel internationally for education, ensuring they can enter and stay legally in their chosen study destination.
How to Apply for a Student Passport in India?
Generally speaking, student passports are not different from normal passports, and can be utilised for international travels. So the student passport requirements are same as normal passport requirement:-
- Gather Required Documents:- Start by gathering the necessary documents, including proof of identity (such as an Aadhaar card, PAN card, or voter ID), proof of address (such as utility bills or rental agreement), date of birth proof (birth certificate or school certificate), and educational documents (mark sheets, admission letter, or Bonafide certificate from the educational institution).
- Online Application:- Visit the official website of the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and register as a new user. Fill in the online passport application form accurately, providing all the required details and selecting the appropriate passport type (Tatkaal or Normal).
- Schedule an Appointment:- After submitting the online application, schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra or Passport Office. Choose a convenient date and time for your visit.
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra:- On the scheduled day, visit the Passport Seva Kendra with all the required documents in original and photocopies. Carry your application reference number, payment receipt, and any additional documents as mentioned on the website.
- Biometric Data Collection:- Your biometric data (fingerprints and photographs) will be collected at the Passport Seva Kendra. Make sure to dress appropriately and follow the guidelines provided on the website.
- Pay the Fees:- Pay the required passport application fees online or at the Passport Seva Kendra counter. The fee structure may vary depending on the type of passport (Tatkaal or Normal) and the number of pages.
- Passport Police Verification for Students:- You will get a call from your nearest police station for in-person verification. Once that is done, they will send the intimation for printing.
- Track Application Status:- After completing the above process, you can track the status of your application online using the application reference number. Once your passport is processed, you will receive an SMS or email notification.
- Receive the Passport:- Once your student passport is approved, your passport will be delivered to your registered address through a courier service.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for Passport for Students in India
To be eligible to apply for a student passport in India, certain criteria must be met. It is important to adhere to these eligibility criteria to ensure a smooth and compliant student passport application process:
The applicant must be an Indian citizen.
They must be enrolled in a recognised educational institution.
They must have a valid proof of admission or enrolment in a foreign educational program.
For minors seeking a Student Passport in India, parental approval and their attestation is required.
The applicant can self-attest their application form and documents if the applicant is an adult.
Additional documents may be required, such as a Bonafide certificate for passport from the educational institution.
Important Documents Required for Passport for Students Application
When applying for a student passport in India, it is crucial to have the necessary documents to complete the application process. These documents verify your identity, address, date of birth, and educational background.
Here are the important documents required for a student passport application:
- Proof of Identity: Documents such as an Aadhaar card, voter ID card, PAN card, or driving license can be submitted as proof of identity. A student passport-size photo isn’t required, as the officials will click a picture during the application process at the passport office.
- Proof of Address: Utility bills (electricity, water, gas), bank statements, rental agreements, or a letter from a recognised educational institution can be proof of address.
- Date of Birth Proof: A birth certificate issued by the municipality or any other recognised authority, a school leaving certificate, or a certificate issued by a registrar of births and deaths are accepted as valid date of birth proof.
- Educational Documents: You must submit documents validating your enrollment or admission to a foreign educational program. These may include admission letters, Bonafide certificates, mark sheets, or degree certificates.
- Proof of Parental Consent (for applicants under 18): If you are under 18 years of age, you must provide a consent letter from your parents or guardians.
Passport for Students in India Fees
The fees for a student passport in India can vary depending on the type of passport application, Normal or Tatkaal. Here is a general overview of the fees:
- Normal application: The fee is around ₹1,500 (approximately).
- Tatkaal application: The fee for expedited processing is around ₹3,500 (approximately).
Student Passport Renewal Process in India
Renewing a student passport in India involves a straightforward process and is usually the same as applying for a new one. Follow these steps for a smooth renewal:
- Online Application: Visit the official Passport Seva website and select the "Renew Passport" option. Fill in the application form accurately with updated personal information and passport details.
- Document Submission: Submit the required documents along with the application. These may include the current passport, proof of address, and proof of any changes in personal details (if applicable).
- Fee Payment: Pay the renewal fee online or at the Passport Seva Kendra counter. The passport renewal fee is lower than a new application and may vary depending on the number of pages required.
- Appointment and Biometric Data Collection: Schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra. Visit the centre on the designated day to provide biometric data (fingerprints and photographs).
- Track Application Status: After submitting the renewal application, you will get a call for police verification. Once that’s done, you can track the status online using the application reference number. Once the renewal is processed, you will receive an SMS or email notification.
- Passport Delivery: After approval, collect your renewed student passport from the Passport Seva Kendra or opt for delivery through a courier service.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Student Passport?
The time taken to obtain a student passport in India can vary based on several factors, including the workload at the Passport Seva Kendra or Passport Office, the completeness of your application, and the type of passport service (Normal or Tatkaal).
- While the processing times are subject to change, here is a general timeframe:
- Normal Application: For a regular or normal student passport application, the processing time is typically around 30 to 45 days from the application's submission date. This includes verifying documents, background checks, and printing the passport.
- Tatkaal Application: The processing time is shorter if you opt for the Tatkaal (expedited) service. The Tatkaal service is designed for urgent cases, and the passport is processed within 1 to 3 working days, subject to police verification.
Is a Normal Passport Different from a Student Passport in India?
In India, a normal passport and a student passport are essentially the same in terms of the passport itself. The primary difference lies in the purpose or category for which the passport is issued.
A normal passport, also known as a regular passport, is a general-purpose passport issued to Indian citizens for various reasons, including personal travel, business trips, or official government work. It is the standard passport that most individuals obtain for international travel.
On the other hand, a student passport is a category or purpose-specific passport issued to Indian students planning to study abroad. The student passport is essentially a normal passport with the designation indicating its purpose as "student." It serves the same functions as a regular passport but is specifically intended for students pursuing education in foreign countries.
The student passport includes the necessary identification information, travel information, and visa details required for international travel. It facilitates the student's entry and stays in the host country for their educational program.
Along with a Student Passport, Do I Need a Travel Insurance Plan?
While a student passport is essential for international travel, a comprehensive overseas travel insurance policy is highly recommended to safeguard your well-being and provide financial protection during your time abroad.
Travel insurance offers many benefits that can prove invaluable in unforeseen circumstances. Medical emergencies, accidents, trip cancellations, baggage loss, and other travel-related risks can occur, and having a travel insurance policy can provide coverage and assistance when you need it the most right when you claim travel insurance policy benefits even from a distant land.
Tata AIG's travel insurance policies are designed with the needs of students in mind. With features like comprehensive medical coverage, emergency assistance services, trip cancellation/interruption coverage, and coverage for loss or delay of baggage, Tata AIG ensures that students can focus on their studies and travel experience with peace of mind.
Furthermore, we have a strong reputation for providing excellent customer service and prompt claim settlements, making them a reliable choice for students seeking travel insurance.
Obtaining a student passport is crucial for Indian students planning to study abroad, granting them the right to travel internationally for educational purposes.
As a student venturing into a foreign land, uncertainties and risks can arise, ranging from medical emergencies to trip cancellations or loss of belongings. A travel insurance plan, in this regard, provides financial protection and support to mitigate such risks, ensuring peace of mind and allowing students to focus on their studies.
Consider opting for a reliable travel insurance provider like Tata AIG, whose tailored policies cater specifically to the needs of students, offering comprehensive coverage, efficient claim settlements, and exceptional customer service.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.