Find Police Station For Passport Online
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
Anyone that wants to travel to another country from India needs to hold an official Indian passport. It’s an important document that serves as a means of identification in a foreign country. Any Indian citizen can apply to be a passport holder with the necessary documents.
The passport application process in India is also streamlined to ensure you get your passport as soon as possible after applying. The police verification step is the last and final step in the application verification process.
The Final Step - Assigning A Police Station For Your Passport Verification
Whether this is your first time applying for a passport or you’re just renewing your passport validity, both processes would require a new passport to be issued by the government/passport office to the applicant.
The various steps and processes include:
- Registering on the Passport Seva Kendra official website
- Booking an appointment to apply for a new passport on the site
- Paying the application fee
- Showing up for your appointment at the appointed passport office in your area/locality
This is followed by going through all the in-office processes with the necessary documents to issue a new passport. You will receive a confirmation message - via text or email - confirming your application status from the passport office. They will also inform you about a police verification process in which a police station is assigned to your home.
Processes Involved In Police Verification For Your Passport
There are two modes involved in the police verification process:
- Pre-Police Verification Process: Before your passport is issued.
- Post-Police Verification Process: After your passport has been issued.
There is also a third-case scenario where there is no police verification required.
Step-By-Step Process On How To Know Which Police Station Is Assigned For Passport Verification
Usually, a police officer is dispatched to visit your residence to perform this verification. However, with the recent influx of passport applications, this is sometimes not possible. So the applicants are asked to visit the police station to get verified instead. Therefore, it is best to ask what the due process will be at your passport office after your application process.
Here’s how you find which police station is for passport verification on the Passport Seva Kendra website:
- Visit the Passport Seva website
- Click the “Information Corner” option on the left side of the home page.
- Select your state and district.
- You will be given a list of police stations in your selected district.
- You can look through this list for police stations in your area and the areas closest to you.
Make sure to double-check the address of the police station and visit the right one, as your verification will only be complete once you do.
Documents Required For Passport Verification At A Police Station
You will need to keep these documents on hand when visiting the police station for the verification process:
- Address proofs: Water bill, electricity bill, etc.
- Identity proofs: Aadhar card, PAN card, etc.
- Affidavit - Annexures, or your printed application form, found on the Passport Seva Kendra website.
Online Passport Police Verification - How To Apply For A Police Clearance Certificate?
The involved police station is usually alerted by the passport office to start the verification process once you’re done with the passport application process. However, you can also apply for police verification on the Passport Seva Kendra website. Here’s how you can do that:
- Visit the Passport Seva website.
- Click on the register now option.
- Fill in all the details on the registration form and click proceed/submit.
- You will receive a registration confirmation email with a link to verify your new account.
- Login to the website using your login credentials
- Select the “Apply for Police Clearance Certificate” option on the website homepage.
- Fill in all the required information in the form,
- Then click the “Pay and Schedule Appointment” option. It can be found on the “View Saved/Submitted Applications” page.
- Pay for the application fee online.
- Next, select the “Print Application Receipt” option. This receipt will have an Application Reference Number (ARN), which will also be sent to you via text on the number registered on the website.
The only thing left to do after this is to visit the PSK (Passport Seva Kendra) or RPO (Regional Post Office), where your appointment has been scheduled. You must bring all your original documents, including your receipt with the ARN number.
Which Police Stations Are Assigned For Passport Verification
Generally, the police stations in the applicant’s area are assigned to verify their application. As stated before, you can also use the tool provided on the official Passport Seva Kendra website to find which police station is assigned to your home.
Why Is This Process Necessary? When Is It Not Required?
The police verification is mainly done to confirm you are who you say you are and to verify all the details provided in all your documents in person through a regulatory authority. It is also to verify your current residential address with the one on your documents (if the police officer is visiting your residence for verification).
However, this step isn’t necessary for some cases:
- If a new passport application is issued before the passport expiry date or within three years of the expiration date.
- Government employees, PSUs (Publis Sector Undertakings), and Statutory bodies are exempt from this process. People who fall under this category must present an identification certificate under Annexure B, along with their application documents.
- Applicants with diplomatic or official passports will also be exempt when applying for a standard passport if they provide an identification certificate under Annexure B.
The police verification process is typically completed after the applicant has finished the application process. After which, the applicant receives their new passport through the post once they’ve passed their verification.
Along with a passport, purchasing a travel insurance policy is also a good idea when travelling to another country. Owning travel insurance will reflect positively on you during your visa application process. It signals that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in a foreign country and are covered for any emergencies.
Tata AIG’s claim travel insurance policy provides resources and assistance for domestic and international claims.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.