How to Renew Indian Passport?
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
A passport is one of the most essential documents to prove your citizenship and identity. It is a compulsory document that you must have if you are travelling outside the country. But, the passport comes with an expiry date, and you must get it renewed. If your passport’s validity has exceeded 10 years, then it is time for you to renew your passport.
If you are not sure about the passport renewal process in India, then this article will help you. But, before we get into the details of the expired passport renewal in India, it is essential to talk about the importance of having travel insurance when you go abroad.
While a passport is one of the most important documents that you must have, a travel insurance policy is also equally important. Traveller insurance will financially safeguard you from any emergencies that may arise while you are on your trip. These can include theft of your passport, hospitalisation due to any illness or Covid-19, or loss of baggage.
With Tata AIG, having a travel insurance policy is a quick and efficient process. You can simply go to the website, compare plans, and choose a policy that suits your requirement. You can get traveller insurance almost instantly without needing any medical test. Moreover, the process of filing a travel insurance claim, if something untoward happens, is simple and straightforward. Also, if you are thinking of the premium, then you can simply calculate it using the travel insurance premium calculator.
Let us understand how to renew the Indian passport.
How to Renew the Expired Indian Passport?
Here are the steps to undertake expired passport renewal in India.
The first step that you need to take to start the passport renewal process in India is creating an account on the Passport Seva portal. Here are the steps that you need to take:
- Open the official Passport Seva website and then choose ‘New User Registration’.
- Choose the Passport Office and select the office that is close to your residential address.
- Now, put your name and your email address so that you can create a password along with a login id.
- Add the captcha as asked and then tap on Register.
- The account activation link will be sent to your email. Open your email id and click on the link to activate the Passport Seva account.
Now that you have completed the registration let us get into the steps for Indian passport renewal online.
Here are the steps that you need to take for the expired passport renewal in India:
- Go to the official Passport Seva website.
- Now, choose from Apply for fresh passport/re-issue of passport. You will be redirected to the online form.
- Fill in all the details in the form like your name, birthdate, etc.
- Once the form is complete, tap on Validate.
- After all the details have been verified, upload your form and then submit it.
You also have the option of downloading the e-form, filling it out, and uploading it to the website. But, you need to remember that this e-form cannot be submitted to the nearby PSK or the Regional Post Office.
This is all you need to know about the passport renewal process in India. Let us now understand how to get an appointment for the renewal of an Indian passport before the expiry date.
How to Get an Appointment for Renewal of Indian Passport Before the Expiry Date?
Here are the steps to get an appointment for Indian passport renewal online:
- Login to the Passport Seva portal by using your user Id and password.
- Now go to the tab with view saved and submitted applications.
- From there, choose pay and schedule an appointment.
- After choosing your slot, you need to pay for it. The amount that you need to pay will be dependent upon the type of service(normal/tatkal) and the number of pages in your passport booklet.
- For making the payment, you can use the following methods: a. Visa or Mastercard Debit or Credit Card b. SBI Challan c. SBI Bank and other banks’ internet banking services
- Now you can print the application receipt. It has all the information like your registration or appointment number. You do not compulsorily need to print it and take it with you.
When Can One Apply for Renewal of Indian Passport Before the Expiry Date?
Here is the when you can apply for the passport renewal process in India:
Documents Required for Passport Renewal Process in India
Here is the list of documents needed to initiate the passport renewal in India:
Your old passport
NOC or No Objection Certificate
Copies of self-attested documents including the last and first two passport pages, validity extension page (for short validity passport), ECR/Non-ECR page, and page of observation that is issued by the passport issuing authority.
Get a 4.5 x 3.5 cm photo that has a white background.
The current proof of residence will be in the name of the parents.
The attestation of documents can be done by the parents.
Moreover, there can be a need for other documents depending upon the type of passport as well as the type of applicant.
What is the Indian Passport Renewal Time?
Here are all the details regarding the Indian passport renewal time:
|Type of passport
|30 to 60 days
|3 to 7 days
What are the Charges for Expired Passport Renewal in India?
Here are the details of the charges that you need to pay for passport renewal:
|Additional charges for tatkal
|Re-issue of passport/Fresh issue (including additional booklets because of the exhaustion of visa pages (36 pages) along with 10-years validity
|Re-issue/Fresh issue of passport (including additional booklets because of the exhaustion of visa pages (60 pages) along with 10-years validity
|Re-issue/Fresh issue of passport for a minor (less than 18 years) with 5-year validity or till they attain 18 years of age(36 pages)
Passport is one of the most important documents that you must have. It is mandatory to have a passport for international travelling. So, it is essential to renew your passport on time. Also, ensure that you have all the documents to have a hassle-free passport renewal process in India. Before you travel after getting your passport renewed, get a travel insurance policy for an amazing and stress-free journey!
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.