When to Claim Your Travel Delay Insurance?
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
Travelling can be an enriching experience, no matter which part of the country or the world you want to travel to. Whether travelling for business, pleasure, or both, you learn something. The experience of travelling can help you understand and learn about new cultures. There are always local cuisines and new tourist spots to try in other cities or countries.
With a travel insurance plan, you can make your travel plan even more secure. The travelling insurance offered by Tata AIG lets you travel with peace of mind. The Tata AIG travel insurance is available online and in person. Keep reading to learn more about travel delay insurance claims.
What is Travel Delay Insurance?
When a common carrier delays your travel, your trip insurance covers the loss or the additional expenses that you may have incurred as a result of the delay. A common carrier is an airline, a ferry operator, a passenger railroad, and a long-distance bus company.
However, it is essential to note that travel delay insurance does not cover every delay. It will depend on the terms of the policy how long the delay must be before coverage starts, but most require at least six to 12 hours - or an overnight stay - of uncertainty.
What Does Travel Delay Insurance Cover?
While travel delays insurance policies vary, most cover reimbursement for necessary expenses incurred due to a travel delay. Travel delay insurance covers delays caused by weather and other unforeseen events, unlike airline policies that cover only delays under their control. There is usually a limit on the amount of coverage per day or trip.
A travel delay insurance policy may cover the following purchases:
- Transfers from and to your hotel.
- Other items for personal use.
What are Considered Travel Delays?
Experiencing a delay in your trip can be extremely unpleasant if it lasts for a long time. There is a big chance that you might miss an important meeting or even a connecting flight if the delay lasts for hours. You must meet certain conditions to submit a claim for a trip delay.
The following are some examples of situations that will cause a trip delay.
- Failure of an aeroplane's equipment or any technical issue with the aircraft
- Natural disasters or sudden changes in the weather that are not suitable for flights.
- If the airline employees take part in a strike or job action.
If you are delayed in your trip for more than a few hours because of the above reasons, you will almost certainly have to spend more on hotels, lodgings, or meals. You can claim your trip delay benefit if your travel insurance covers such situations. The delay will result in compensation for all expenses incurred as covered under the policy.
Travel Delays – For International and Domestic Travel
Whether you are flying domestically or internationally will significantly impact your coverage. Domestic trips might not qualify for some insurance coverage for international trips.
Travel Delay Claim - International Travel
- Travel insurance commonly covers trip delays due to emergencies. If you wish to claim your insurance policy, you must meet certain conditions under the policy.
- Flight delays exceeding 12 hours are a typical example. A travel insurance policy may cover meals and accommodations in such cases. In other cases, you may receive reimbursement for these delays.
Travel Delay Claim - Domestic Travel
- Even when travelling within the country, purchasing travel insurance online is a good idea.
- A delay in a flight or train can occur in several situations. It is more than helpful to have travel insurance in such circumstances.
- You can claim a policy under certain circumstances, as with international travel.
- For example, a flight or train delay of more than a certain number of hours may qualify for the procedure.
- You will be reimbursed differently depending on the sum insured you choose.
Travel Delay Claim - Exclusions
There are exceptions to trip delay policies, too, just as to any other insurance policy. Your claim may not be accepted if the situations below occur:
- In case of a temporary or permanent withdrawal of service by the airline, which caused the delay.
- You were notified of a hazard before you booked your trip. As a result, any delay arising from this hazard is an exclusion.
- If you book your ticket knowing about a public strike or dispute, then in such a case, if these events cause a delay, you cannot be reimbursed for the same.
- Any delay caused by a law or order issued by a public authority.
Flight Delay Insurance Claim
- A majority of travel insurance plans also cover flight delays.
- Bad weather or a technical glitch can disrupt your travel plans.
- Another possibility is that you have booked tickets for a major event, or there might be a connecting flight for the final destination.
- Flight delay insurance protects you from such random and unprecedented deviations.
- Your travel insurance provider can offer reimbursement for cancelled and delayed flights if the cause of the delay is an unexpected and genuine emergency.
- This includes reimbursement for any unplanned additional expenses following a significant delay. Travel insurance flight delay claim can also cover overnight hotel stays in case of an unexpected and prolonged delay of more than 10-12 hours.
Flight Cancellation Insurance Claim
Your flight may get cancelled if your destination's weather or socio-political conditions are adverse. Travel insurance policies provide flight cancelled insurance claims to cover things such as arranging another flight or compensating for unused tickets in such a case.
You may have to cancel your trip if you are ill or have a family emergency. A travel insurance policy will pay you for the booked flight and hotel costs. As a result, you won’t lose your money if your trip has to be cancelled or curtailed due to sickness.
Tata AIG helps you with flight cancellation insurance claims if you happen to miss your flight due to a genuine emergency or if your flight is cancelled due to unforeseen and unexpected situations.
You can burn a massive hole in your pocket if things go wrong on your journey, which can be unnecessarily stressful. The concept of "travelling insurance" is usually considered a luxury by most people. The fact that travelling involves many uncertainties makes travel insurance essential for you! Invest in Tata AIG's travel insurance and travel safely.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.