Bike Registration Transfer
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
After you purchase your dream car or two-wheeler, you cannot wait to drive it around on the road. However, before you take your new vehicle, you must avail a registration number and insurance for bike. It is mandatory to register the vehicle at the Regional Transport Office (RTO) to receive the Registration Certificate (RC). The RC certifies your proof of vehicle ownership. When you sell the vehicle in the future, the RC must have the new buyer’s name after completing the bike RC transfer process.
Bike transfer is possible in the same state and to a different state. Two-wheeler owners must have information about the process, the documentation required, and the bike transfer charges. There are two aspects of the bike RC transfer. The first is ownership transfer, and the second is a transfer from one RTO to another. RTO transfer is facilitated in the same state and to another state. But, intra-state RTO transfer, which refers to the transfer of RC from one RTO to another within the state, is not mandatory. Some bike owners prefer to do so to register their bikes at an RTO near their residence.
In this article, let us discuss the procedures, the documents, and the fees of the different types of bike registration transfers.
Bike Transfer Process in The Same State
A bike change of ownership within the state can be initiated both offline and online. The steps involved in the offline process are as follows:
- Visit the relevant RTO to collect the registration transfer application.
- Provide the required details in the form and submit the required documentation.
- Complete the process by paying the bike ownership transfer cost.
- The buyer will receive the new registration certificate.
The steps involved in the online process are as follows:
- Go to the official website for Parivahan and click on the option for Online Services.
- Select the state you are currently in and proceed to the next steps.
- Fill out the present Registration Number and press Proceed.
- Select the option for Transfer of Ownership.
- Provide the Chassis Number with your registered mobile number. You will receive an OTP that you need to enter for verification.
- Press the Show Details button.
- Pay the bike transfer fee to complete the process. Download the receipt for your reference.
Documents Needed for The Bike Rc Transfer Process Within The State
If you’re completing the transfer formalities offline, you need to carry a physical copy of the documents. If you’re initiating the process online, you need to upload the following documents for the registration transfer.
- Registration Certificate
- Bike insurance plan
- Pollution Under Control certificate
- Proof of Address for Buyer
- Proof of Identity for Buyer
- Transfer Deed
- Sales receipt
- Engine and chassis print
- Road tax certificate
- Passport-sized photographs of seller and buyer
- PAN card of the buyer
- If you purchased the bike on loan, a No Objection Certificate from the bank confirming that you have paid all the dues.
What Are The Bike Transfer Charges Within The State?
If you’re transferring your bike within the state, you need to pay around ₹30 to ₹35. The smart card fee to pay at RTO is ₹200.
Bike Transfer Process Between Different States
The steps involved in the bike RC transfer process between different states are as follows:
- Get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the bank if you purchased the bike on loan.
- Get a No Crime Certificate (NCR) from your Regional Transport Office (RTO).
- Register the bike in the new state’s RTO by submitting all the necessary documents. While filling out the form, enter the name of the new owner.
- If road tax is paid in the seller’s state, ask for a refund.
- Submit the required bike transfer fee.
- The new RC will be delivered to the new owner.
What are the Two-wheeler Ownership Transfer Fees from One State to Another?
The charges for transferring ownership from one state to another are the same as the charges for bike transfer within the state. You need to pay ₹30 to ₹35 along with ₹200 at the RTO for a smart card.
How to Transfer Bike Insurance?
Motor vehicle companies are launching new and advanced bikes at a rapid pace. These newer models are luring owners to buy new models and sell out the older ones. Once you decide to sell your existing bike, you need to transfer the insurance for the bike along with the registration certificate.
Whether you have purchased bike insurance online or offline, you must inform the insurance company of the transfer of ownership. It is vital to complete the transfer of the insurance policy because if the bike meets with an accident after the sale, the new owner will not receive any cover if the insurance policy is not in the name of the owner.
Importance of Bike Transfer
When an individual sells a two-wheeler to another individual, it leads to a bike change of ownership. As a result, the essential and valid documents related to the bike, such as RC, PUC, and insurance policy, should contain the name of the new owner. The process must be completed seamlessly before the buyer starts using the vehicle on the road. Transfer of ownership in all required and valid documents ensures that the legal and financial liabilities associated with the bike are now the responsibility of the new owner of the vehicle.
It is essential to have proper knowledge of the bike transfer RC process. Driving the vehicle without a valid RC can result in legal punishment.
When an individual sells a previously-owned bike to another individual, a bike transfer of ownership is needed. If there is ongoing long-term two-wheeler insurance, the policy must also be transferred. In case the insurance for the bike has ended, the new owner can purchase new bike insurance online from Tata AIG.
Most importantly, an individual buying or selling the bike should learn of the transfer procedure, the documentation required for submission at the RTO, and the bike transfer fee. Failure to transfer the bike registration in the name of the new owner can lead to challan and other legal penalties.
All the bike prices and other information listed above pertain to a specific city and vehicle model. Since this information is subject to change, it is advisable to check the latest information before purchasing a vehicle or an insurance policy.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.