Find Bike Insurance Expiry Date Online
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
In India, it is mandatory for every two-wheeler to have insurance for bikes per the prevailing motor vehicle laws. As soon as you buy a bike, you must get a valid bike insurance policy before you can hit the roads. If you ride without bike insurance, you can face penalties or punishment from the traffic authorities. However, the journey does not end with buying insurance for bikes. You must also renew it from time to time before its expiry.
Two-wheeler insurance policies generally last for 1-3 years and up to 5 years if they are long-term two-wheeler insurance. So, you have to renew the bike insurance policy before it reaches the expiry date. You can find the expiry date in your policy document, but if you don’t have it for some reason, you can always check bike insurance details online. There are many simple ways to do it.
How to check bike insurance expiry date online?
*Via your insurance provider *
This is the easiest and most time-saving way of doing a bike insurance validity check online. All you have to do is visit your insurer’s website and follow detailed instructions step by step. For instance, if your insurer is Tata AIG, you have to start by visiting the Tata AIG portal and:
- Click on the Motor Insurance – Bike insurance section.
- Go to the ‘Self-service’ button and click on the first option of ‘Download Policy’.
- To fetch your bike insurance policy details, you must enter the requested details, like your registered phone number, your bike registration number, and so on.
Once you download the bike insurance policy, you can check the bike insurance status.
Via the IIB website
IIB stands for the Insurance Information Bureau of India. The IIB website is part of the IRDAI or the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India. IRDAI regulates insurance companies and keeps all information on insurance policies in India. The IIB keeps a record of bike insurance policies from April 1, 2010. To do a bike insurance expiry date check, go on the IIB website and:
- Visit the homepage and click on the Quick links section. Under this section, you will see a sub-section called ‘V-seva’.
- Click on the V-seva button, after which you will get directed to an Accident Vehicle Information Retrieval System page.
- Enter all the details prompted on the Retrieval system page, including -
- Registration number of your bike (without any special characters)
- Name, number, email-id
- Registered address
- Accident date and place (if the bike was involved in an accident)
- Image text for identity verification/ check
- Once you submit all the details, your policy details will become visible to you. However, you can check bike insurance status for a specific number/ email-id only up to 3 times.
If you are confused with the process, you can also fill out a query form for assistance. An executive from the portal will call you and guide you through the process.
- Via the VAHAN portal
The third way to do a bike insurance validity check is through the VAHAN portal. VAHAN is a government-launched national-level registry that contains the insurance policy details of all registered two-wheelers, four-wheelers, and vehicles of the country. The process at the VAHAN website is simple. All you have to do is visit the VAHAN website and:
- Go on the services option and click on Additional services
- Click on ‘Know your details’
- Enter your bike registration number, chassis number, and the engine number
- Enter the captcha/ verification code, after which you will receive an OTP on your registered number
- Enter the OTP and view your insurance for bike expiry details online
What are Some Other Ways to Check Bike Insurance Expiry Dates?
Apart from the three ways listed above, there are some other ways to check your insurance expiry date online. Here are the ways how to check bike insurance expiry date online:
Via email– When you buy bike insurance from an insurer, you will receive the e-copy of your insurance policy on your email-id. You can simply keep your policy document safe in your email and avoid the entire process of checking your expiry date through other ways.
Via RTO – RTO stands for Regional Transport Office. Some Indian states, especially the metropolitans, have their own RTO website. You can check your bike insurance expiry date through the specific RTO website by following their specific guidelines.
What are the Consequences of Not Checking Your Insurance Expiry Date?
Checking your bike insurance expiry date from time to time is crucial if you don’t want your insurance policy to expire and lose your benefits. If you don’t remember the expiry date and fail to renew it even within the grace period given by insurance companies, your insurance policy will expire, and you will be without an active bike insurance policy. Apart from losing insurance coverage, you will also lose the no-claim bonus (NCB) benefits accumulated under the policy. NCBs are discounted premiums given to you for every claim-free year. You will have to buy new insurance for bikes from scratch and go through the purchase and verification process again. That is why it is best to be prompt about doing a bike insurance validity check and renewing your insurance policy on time.
Checking the validity and expiry date of bike insurance has become easy and convenient because everything is 100% digital now. Gone are the days when you had to keep your documents safe and at hand. Now you can keep digital copies of every document. Besides, even if you forget to check your insurance expiry date, your insurer will send you timely reminders about the expiry date and nudge you to renew your bike insurance policy. In worst-case scenarios, they will also provide a grace period of 15-30 days to renew your insurance policy. With everything made so convenient, you will have only your laxity to blame if you don’t check or renew your insurance policy on time.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.