Why do I need Travel Insurance?
One usually travels abroad for two reasons- a pleasure trip or a business trip. You do not want anything to spoil your hard earned holiday or your crucial business meeting. But there is a possibility of some unexpected occurrence no matter how perfect the planning is. Unfortunate events such as baggage loss, passport loss, a medical emergency or an accident can affect you. Having Overseas Travel Insurance protects you from all such perils. It ensures that in a foreign land you are not left stranded in any kind of an emergency.
When does the cover begin?
The Insurance cover commences on the day specified in the Policy Schedule or the time you board the conveyance to leave for onward overseas journey or the Contracted Departure Date as per the policy, whichever is later.
Till when is the policy valid?
Insurance Cover shall terminate (i) with the end of Insurance Period i.e. the period for which the premium has been paid or (ii) when the insured person first disembarks on return to India.
What happens if the stay abroad is extended?
Where your stay abroad is extended for reasons beyond your control, the extension may be granted by insurance company after collecting appropriate additional premium. You have to contact your insurer with details in such cases.
Who would I have to get in touch with if I meet with an accident abroad?
In case of any emergency, wherein you might need immediate medical care or assistance, you may call upon the Alarm Centre or assistance companies, stating the necessary details.
What is the documentation required under various sections?
The original bills and vouchers must be submitted along with all claims.
- Bills/ Prescriptions/ vouchers/ reports/ discharge summary must contain the name of the person treated, the type of illness, details of the individual items of medical treatment provided and the dates of treatment.
- Prescriptions must clearly show the medicines prescribed, the price and the receipt stamp of the pharmacy. In the case of dental treatment, the bills/ vouchers/ reports must give the details of the tooth treated and the treatment performed.
- For reimbursement of the extra costs of transporting the mortal remains to the Republic of India or of the costs of burial abroad, an official death certificate and a physician's statement giving the cause of death.
- For reimbursement of extra expenses of transportation of Insured Person to the Republic of India, a medical statement indicating the cause of illness and the necessity of the transportation. Medical statements from relations or spouses will not be accepted.
- In case of loss of baggage, a Property Irregularity Report or other report usually issued by the carriers in the event of loss of baggage. Proof of value for article above deductibles
- For personal liability, proof of judicial decision rendered by a court of law.
- For Personal Accident, bills/ vouchers/ reports/ discharge summary, Death Certificate, First Information Report, Post Mortem Report Legal Heir Certificate and such other documents as applicable.
- Any other document(s) that the company requires from the Insured Person to process the claim.
In case I don't want the policy anymore, can I get it cancelled?
You can get your policy cancelled only if you have not undertaken the journey and you produce your passport as a proof that the journey has not been undertaken. Any such request of cancellation will be entertained up to 14 days after the first date of insurance as indicated in the schedule of the policy. In case of cancellation of your policy, a specified amount will be deducted as administration charges, from the refundable amount.
Would I be reimbursed for the medical expenses incurred abroad, if I go specifically for the purpose of seeking medical treatment?
The insurance covers you only for accidents or sickness which happen unexpectedly and unintentionally while you are traveling abroad.
Is there a free Look-in /look-in period available ?
Can I cancel my policy midway?
Yes ,one can cancel the insurance policy
Can I get my money/unused premium refunded?
The refund is essentially depends upon the company and would be on short rate period. Customer must check the short rate calculations to avoid any heartburns later. Claims procedure – General step by step procedure:
- Immediately inform the insurance company as soon as possible by Phone, SMS, Letter, Email and take the claim number
- Collect the following indicative list of document
- Deposit the completed claim form with the insurance company
- Answer/satisfy the insurance company for query's if any
- Advise the payment receiving mechanism