Mucormycosis Black Fungus
Mucormycosis Black Fungus Insurance
When the Covid-19 pandemic struck the world, it brought the entire world down on its knees. Everything, as we knew it came to an absolute standstill and death was all around us in a way humanity had not experienced in years. It made people all over reprioritise things and refocus their perspective. What was worse is that when the world was trying to combat the pandemic, other illnesses were making their way in and attacking us while we were already weak. One such disease was mucormycosis black fungus. Mucormycosis black fungus is a mould infection that is very rare and serious and is fatal in some humans. When mixed with the weakened immune system of a Covid patient, the mucormycosis black fungus prognosis is very poor.
Mucormycosis black fungus, commonly known as just black fungus, must be treated very vigorously, and a patient needs to be hospitalised to get treatment for black fungus. Treatment and medicines for black fungus do not come cheap, and when people were left to fight the symptoms of black fungus, they found it to be a difficult task. However, this should never have been the case. If people had had mucormycosis black fungus health insurance, they would not have to choose between the right treatment and breaking the bank. With health insurance coverage for mucormycosis, you can get the necessary treatment without a second thought.
To buy mucormycosis black fungus health insurance, you do not need to look beyond Tata AIG’s health insurance plans. When you have critical illness insurance with us, your needs always come first. You get the best health insurance policy at affordable rates and can customise your plans per your requirements. Moreover, our critical illness insurance ensures you access a wide network of cashless hospitals in your time of need. So when it comes to health insurance coverage for mucormycosis, always choose Tata AIG.
After learning about a health insurance policy and how it can help, let us look into the causes of black fungus, symptoms of black fungus and the black fungus prevention routes we can take.
What is Mucormycosis Black Fungus?
Mucormycosis, often known as black fungus infection, is a dangerous but uncommon fungal infection that can be fatal. This typically occurs in individuals whose immune systems have been compromised by the coronavirus (COVID-19), viral illnesses, immunodeficiency illnesses, tumours, chronic illnesses, severe medical problems, or those who take immunosuppressive medications to treat illness. Mucormycosis generated by fungus mucormycetes and moulds from the order of Mucorales can be found everywhere in our surroundings, especially in soil, decomposing organic materials, crop residues, animal waste, decomposing wood, and plant matter. This is immediately evident as a black fungus on decomposing fruits and crusty bread.
Mucormycosis cannot be spread through direct or indirect human contact or interaction between humans and animals. According to recent statistics, India is home to 70% of the instances of mucormycosis linked to COVID-19 that have been reported worldwide.
Types of Black Fungus
The particular type of a disease is always needed to be known because doctors cannot treat a disease unless they know exactly what they are dealing with. It is not enough to know that you have black fungus; you need to be able to say which type of black fungus you have to get the right treatment and medicine for black fungus. Five common types of black fungus can be found in human beings. We will discuss them to help you understand the disease better.
The five types of black fungus commonly found are;
- Pulmonary Mucormycosis- The most common cases of pulmonary mucormycosis (lung) are seen in cancer patients and those with an organ or stem cell transplantation.
- Rhinocerebral Mucormycosis-The infection of the sinuses can migrate to the brain and is known as rhinocerebral mucormycosis. People with untreated diabetes and those who have undergone kidney transplants are more likely to experience this.
- Cutaneous Mucormycosis- Skin infection, known as cutaneous mucormycosis, occurs when fungus infiltrates the bloodstream through skin damage. The majority of cases of this are seen in healthy individuals.
- Gastrointestinal Mucormycosis- Gastrointestinal mucormycosis is a prominent condition in young children, particularly those born prematurely or with low body mass, as well as those who have undergone surgery or are taking drugs that suppress immunity.
- Disseminated Mucormycosis- Disseminated mucormycosis is an illness that mostly impacts the brain but may also damage the liver, heart, spleen, and other body parts as it travels via the circulatory system.
Causes of Black Fungus
Fungi that are normally unharmful but can penetrate tissues and profit from compromised immune systems. Because of this, diseases caused by black fungus are often known as opportunistic infections.
Millions of spores—dark-coloured, tiny spherical structures—are produced by mucor fungi and dispersed in the air. These spores start to germinate and create thread-like projections called mycelia if they touch moist substances like plant debris, compost mounds, animal waste, or mud. The mycelia spread out, eating nearby sugars to feed on and develop. It is at this stage that the virus comes in touch with humans. While fungus penetrates through the injured skin as a result of skin lesions to produce a skin infection, people can also contract mucormycosis by breathing pathogens in the atmosphere through the surroundings, which can cause sinus, lung, or brain infections.
It is extremely difficult to completely avoid interaction with mucormycetes because most people have daily exposure to minute fungus spores. Most individuals are generally not harmed by these fungi. However, breathing in mucormycete fungus spores can result in an infection that can move to certain other areas of the body in persons with compromised immune systems and cause them harm.
Barring the basic causes of black fungus, risk factors may increase your chances of getting the disease. Any age group can contract the virus. Most people will encounter the pathogen at some stage in their daily life. However, you're most likely to become ill if your immunological system is compromised due to a medicine you're consuming or a medical issue like
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Organ or stem cell transplant
- Low white blood cell count
- Metabolic acidosis
- HIV and AIDS
- Excessive iron in the body
- Use of steroids
- Drug abuse
- Unhealthy lifestyle choices
- Premature birth
- Open wound in the skin resulting from a cut or burn
Symptoms of Black Fungus
The first step to getting treated for a disease is the ability to tell a doctor your symptoms. It does not help to be vague, and a person should be able to say just what is going on with them. This can be hard for a person to do. However, if you know what to look out for, it helps you to describe your symptoms much better. Keeping this in mind, we are listing the symptoms of black fungus to look out for. If you notice any of these, go to the doctor at once so you can begin your black fungus medicines course.
The symptoms of black fungus you should know are given below.
- Difficulty breathing
- High temperature
- Chest pain
- Blurry vision
- Swelling of the face
- Blood in the stool
- Black spots on your nose or inside the mouth
- Stomach pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Skin infections that are hot to the touch and have blisters
- Altered mental condition
Altered mental conditions and coma are symptoms only when the disease has progressed without any treatment. Ideally, you should go to a doctor and seek help before allowing the disease to spread to this point. If you notice any of the symptoms given above, you should go to a doctor at once.
Black Fungus Diagnosis
It is often very easy to confuse black fungus with a variety of other diseases. Thus, getting the right diagnosis to start the right course of treatment becomes very important. Your doctor might take the steps given below to make a diagnosis of your disease.
- Clinical Diagnosis- The most frequent presenting symptom for this medical diagnosis is a headache. The obvious clinical indication is tissue necrosis, which can be diagnosed by searching for a black scab in the mouth or nose cavity. Evidence of the illness is increased by redness, enlargement, and inflammation of the eye, in addition to vision loss, excruciating facial discomfort, and focused numbness.
- Imaging Methods: A CT scan of the brain and paranasal sinuses aids in detecting rhino-orbital illness. Finding pulmonary nodules and effusion with a CT scan of the lungs can aid in diagnosing the disease.
- Histopathological and Microbiological Examination: Finding the fungus on microscopic analysis of the tissue and checking for assimilation of particular acquisitions to define the fungus represents the most significant stage in diagnosis, according to histopathological and microbiological examination.
- Molecular Testing: Molecular tests, like DNA sequence analysis of specific gene areas, traditional polymerase chain reaction (PCR), melt curve analysis of PCR products, and restriction fragment length polymorphism analyses (RFLP), assist in identifying the prevalence of Mucorales. These procedures are rarely performed because a microscopic analysis usually suffices in diagnosing the disease.
Treatment for Black Fungus
A thorough strategy is needed to manage the black fungus infection. Initiating antifungal medication, treating necrotic tissues, addressing underlying predisposing variables, and adjuvant therapy are all ways in which your doctor may go about the treatment of black fungus. The strategies for treating black fungus illness are as follows:
Antifungal Drugs: The doctor may recommend several antifungal drugs. Isavuconazole, l iposomal amphotericin B, and posaconazole are a few of them. These drugs can be administered intravenously (IV) or as pills for oral use. Your doctor may begin by administering high doses intravenously until the disease seems to be under control, and you might take weeks to get to this point. You'll then start taking pills orally.
Amphotericin B is a powerful antifungal drug used to manage serious, life-threatening fungal diseases, but it also has many unpleasant side effects, including blood in the stools, neurological problems like seizures, kidney disorders, fluid accumulation in the lungs, stroke and jaundice.
Surgical Debridement: According to several infection experts, the contaminated component needs to be surgically removed to protect the patient's life. It aids in stopping the disease's advancement. The patient can get plastic surgery if the treatments are successful.
Black Cancer Prevention
Spores cannot be avoided by breathing them in. However, there are a few things you may do as a means of black fungus prevention. Black fungus prevention becomes crucial for you if you have medical problems and your immune system is weak. Below are a few steps to safeguard yourself from the disease.
- Avoid places like renovation or excavating sites covered in a large quantity of dust or dirt. If you must be in these locations, put on an N95 face mask.
- Avoid contaminated water. This could include structures that have been flooded or have water damage, particularly in the wake of natural catastrophes like natural disasters or floods.
- Avoid tasks like gardening or mowing the lawn that entails dust and dirt when you have a compromised immune system. If you are not in a position to, cover your skin with long-sleeved shirts, long pants, protective footwear and gloves. Clean any cuts or scratches you incur and dress them properly.
- Take your medicines as prescribed when you develop mucormycosis. Inform your physician immediately if side effects are problematic, or if the infection is not going away even after taking medicine.
However, you should also know that even if you take all the necessary precautions, there may be a time when you get the illness. In such a situation, you should not beat yourself up wondering if you have done anything wrong and instead rush to the doctor and start treatment at once.
Why Use a Health Insurance Policy
Covid times have taught us that we must go the extra mile and take care of ourselves. Our health, in some ways, is not in our control. We cannot anticipate which way things may go. However, what we can do is secure ourselves by getting a health insurance policy. If you have critical illness insurance, you can be assured that you hold some power over your circumstances and will not be helpless. Some ways in which critical illness insurance can help you are given below.
Expense- Medical care is considerably more expensive in specialised cases like black fungus. Paying for treatments out of pocket can be challenging for anyone. This doesn't imply that you shouldn't receive the care you need when you need it. You won't have to worry about paying for the necessary treatments if you have the appropriate critical illness insurance. Your only concern at this point needs to be getting well.
Savings on Taxes- You can claim tax exemptions when you purchase a health insurance policy. A person may claim a tax break of 25,000 or 50,000 for people over 60, as per Indian law.
Cashless Care- As we've already covered, the black fungus can quickly become very dangerous. You can require immediate hospitalisation without warning. However, it's possible that you won't have enough money to put down a deposit to be admitted. However, this should not be a worry with Tata AIG's critical illness insurance. Thanks to our cashless hospitalisation facilities, you can be hospitalised at any moment without making a payment or awaiting reimbursements. Your insurer will directly cover your treatments.
Peace of Mind- People can relax knowing they are covered by a health insurance policy and are ready for anything. You know that you've made progress toward putting your health first and can always seek the necessary care. Additionally, you can feel secure knowing there won't be any medical emergency you are not equipped to handle.
How to Buy Tata AIG’s Health Insurance Policy
There are two ways in which you can buy critical illness insurance from Tata AIG. You can choose to do it on your own online, or you can go to the AIG office and get your policy after seeking assistance from a consultant. Either way, we will discuss both methods below so you can choose which way you want to go.
*Online- To buy insurance online, here is what you will be required to do. *
- You must visit our website and select the person you want to purchase the coverage. You can purchase insurance for your parents, partner, or kids.
- Selecting a plan is the following action. Click "get plan" after you have decided on a course of action.
- The information requested will then have to be entered.
- We will display the most suitable plans for you after you have entered your information.
- The sum assured for the person purchasing the policy must then be determined.
- We'll now demonstrate what the premiums will be.
- Next, you can compare other plans with various pricing ranges and feature sets to pick the policy that will work best for you.
- Once you've reviewed your options, decide on a course of action.
- Click "buy now."
- An expert will now contact you to enquire if you need assistance.
This concludes your end of the proceedings. You will receive your policy in a few moments after verification.
*Offline- To buy insurance physically, here is what you are required to do. *
- Find the Tata AIG office that is closest to you.
- When you're ready, drop by the office and check in at the front desk.
- Indicate your desire to purchase a health insurance policy.
- A representative will talk about the best policies for you.
- Once you've decided on a plan, complete the application.
- Include any pertinent documentation.
- Your application should be turned in at the relevant counter.
- Pay the fee.
After this, all you need to do is wait for the insurance to reach your home. It should reach you in a few days after the application.
Documents Required to Buy Tata AIG’s Health Insurance Policy
The important documents needed to buy Tata AIG’s health insurance policy include;
- ID proof
- Age proof
- Address proof
- Income proof
- Recent photographs
- All the information relating to your health
Other Health Pages
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.
1. Why do Covid-19 patients get Black Fungus infection?
1. Why do Covid-19 patients get Black Fungus infection?
Owing to the body's weakened immune system, individuals with Coronavirus disease have higher inflammation levels and serious breathing infections. Because of the person's compromised immune mechanism, mucor fungi spread through the air, enter tissues and cause black fungus infection, commonly known as mucormycosis.
2. Is black fungus contagious?
No, black fungus is not contagious.
3. Is black fungus airborne?
The black fungus infection can be airborne but can also spread by contact with infected material.
4. Are immunocompromised individuals at a greater risk of contracting black fungus?
Yes, immunocompromised individuals stand a greater chance of contracting black fungus than otherwise healthy people.