How To Pay Traffic Fines Online & Check its Status?
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
With the new regulations in place under the Motor Vehicles Act, the traffic police are levying a hefty fine on several driving irregularities, such as driving without vehicle insurance. Moreover, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has also installed cameras on the roads to detect a traffic rule violation. As soon as a violation is captured, an e-challan is generated.
How to check traffic fines online?
Even though a challan is not good news, the saving grace here is that you do not have to stand in long queues to pay these challans. Thanks to the internet and the increasing digitisation, you can easily pay these challans comfortably online. Online challan payment is easy, fast, simple and highly secure. E-challans have eased the way of paying traffic fines by offering a digital medium to review and make e-challan payment.
Here is all you need to know about checking traffic fines online.
How to check traffic fines online?
The entire challan system is now technologically driven. A CCTV camera records all the footage of the ongoing traffic, and as soon as a traffic rule is violated, it gets recorded. The traffic police obtain the number of the vehicle from the footage screenshot, and the traffic offence is registered in their records. The vehicle number is then used to gather more details from the RTO (Regional Transport Office). Upon receiving the details of the vehicle and owner, an SMS is sent to the registered phone number of the offender. The SMS will include details about the offence such as time, date, location, etc.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways' website allows people to check and pay their traffic e-challans online. Each state, union territory and city has its website for the checking and payment of e-challan. There is also a digital traffic/transport enforcement solution website to check and pay the e-challans. Alternatively, the e-challan can also be paid by the payment app.
How to pay traffic fines online?
You have different options to pay the traffic fines online. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to pay traffic fines online:
Payment of traffic fine on digital traffic/transport enforcement solution website:
- Visit the E-Challan digital traffic/transport enforcement solution website.
- Click on ‘Check Challan Status’ at the extreme right corner of the website. Enter the challan number, vehicle number or driving license number. Be careful because two different challans can be issued using license and vehicle number. So, best check with both the details.
- Enter the captcha code and proceed to check your challan status.
- The website will list the valid challan and provide you with a payment option.
- The website will list the challan details. Read through and click on ‘Pay Now’ to proceed further.
- The website will give you different payment modes; you can choose as per your preference.
- You would need to also verify your mobile number via an OTP sent to your number.
- This will direct you to your respective state or city transport department website.
- You can pay your challan amount online through internet banking or debit/credit.
Payment of traffic fine through state and city website:
- Visit your respective state or city transport department website
- Go to the e-challan payment section
- In the traffic violation payment section, select the type of violation for which you have to pay the challan
- Enter the challan number and the other details such as vehicle registration number
- The window will show details of your challan.
- Read through and enter the unique captcha code
- Choose your payment mode – Debit/Credit card, internet banking and pay the fine
- You will receive an SMS confirmation of the challan payment.
Payment of traffic fine through the mobile payment apps:
- Download the app from your AppStore
- Open the app and log in with your credentials
- On the main app screen, go to ‘More’ and then choose ‘City Services’ on the new page.
- Under this option, select ‘Challan’ and proceed.
- Choose your traffic authority by entering the name of the city.
- Enter the e-challan number, vehicle number, registration number, driver license details, etc.
- Select ‘Proceed’ and enter the amount of challan.
- Choose your payment mode – Credit/Debit card, App Wallet, Net Banking, App UPI, etc.
- Once the payment is made, you will receive the confirmation.
In all, a person should abide by the traffic laws and avoid paying the fine. A critical traffic rule that you must follow is investing in comprehensive car insurance. Driving without vehicle insurance in India can cause you to pay a fine of ₹2,000 (₹4,000 for repeat offenders) and/or 3-month imprisonment and community service.
There are many vehicle insurance companies in India to choose from. You can buy an online motor policy or renew auto insurance at the Tata AIG insurance company. Tata AIG insurance company offers affordable four-wheeler insurance prices, along with competitive features. With a secure online motor policy, you can be able to avoid the hefty fine and drive without any worry.
Here are some commonly asked questions
How can I check my challan online?
You can check your challan online by visiting your state or city road transport authority’s website. Alternatively, you can visit the - echallan.parivahan.gov.in/ website or choose the Paytm app to pay your challan.
How can I check my traffic fine online in Bangalore?
You can visit Bangalore’s road transport authority’s website to pay your challan online or use the Paytm app.
What happens if you don't pay challan?
If you fail to pay the challan, a constable will visit your registered address to collect the fine. If this does not work, you can also be issued a summons by the court. In this case, you would need to go to the court, explain why the challan was not paid and ultimately pay the fine, which might include a late charge or penalty. If you miss the court hearing, your license will be suspended.
Can a traffic cop take your keys?
No, a traffic cop cannot take your keys but can refer the violation case to the court.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.