How to Transfer the Ownership of Car

  • Author :
  • TATA AIG Team
  • Published on :
  • 27/06/2020

If you are planning on buying a used car and are wondering how to take ownership of a car, follow this step-by-step process.

How to Transfer the Ownership of Car

Finding the perfect second-hand car can be quite a task. You may have to try your luck with several dealerships, individuals, and online classifieds before you meet your next travel companion.

But when you finally buy a pre-owned car, the first question that is likely to strike you is how do I get car title in my name or how to take ownership of a car?

While the process might initially seem complicated, here’s a simple guide on how to take ownership of a car by visiting an agent at an RTO or by doing it by yourself:

How to take ownership of a car by visiting an RTO

Go to the Regional Transport Office (RTO) in your locality and deposit a small registration transfer fee, along with the following documents:

  • The original Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle
  • Insurance policy documents of the previous owner
  • Signed Form 29 with affixed photos of buyer and seller- this is the notice form to change ownership of the vehicle
  • Form 30 to indicate the transfer of ownership of the car- this too has to be affixed with passport size photographs of both parties and duly signed
  • If the transfer is within the same state, you only need to submit the documents mentioned above. But if it’s interstate, Form 28 (NOC) is mandatory. Some states like Maharashtra require Form 28 even when the transfer is within the state.
  • Inspection report from the insurance service provider. Your car will be thoroughly checked before it’s handed over
  • No-claim bonus certificate (if the existing owner approves)
  • Proof of residence such as Aadhaar card, voter ID, passport, ration card, electricity bill, etc.
  • A report from NCRB (National Crime Records Bureau) is a must if your car has any history of being used in any antisocial activity. Visit the nearest NCRB office to get this report.
  • Copy of valid PUC certificate. Vehicles manufactured after April 2010 require a pollution check every 12 months,
  • while older cars have to undergo this test every three months.

What if you want to undertake this process by yourself?

If you have a good understanding of the car transfer process and want to know how do I get car title in my name without visiting the RTO, here are the steps you must take:

  • Prepare the sale agreement from a notary. It should contain the payment details, the status of the vehicle, the status of the RC and insurance details. If you are buying the vehicle, get two copies of Form 29 and one copy of Form 30 signed by the seller to be submitted to the RTO. You might also need an NOC if the car is under a loan.

  • Apply for a clearance certificate from the old RTO by producing documents such as the original RC, copy of the insurance, copy of the emission certificate and a self-addressed envelope with stamps worth INR 30.

  • You will also need to apply for ownership transfer at the new RTO. The documents required here are the same as the ones to be submitted to the old RTO, with some additions such as two copies of Form 29 and one copy of Form 30, copy of your address proof and PAN, and one passport-sized photograph.

If you are the seller of the car, apply for the transfer of ownership as early as possible as you will be legally liable for any damage to the car till then. To check online, you can enter your car registration number and chassis number and track the status on the government’s parivahan website. Always make sure you #ThinkAhead and get this process done as early as possible so that you are not liable for someone else’s car!

Share This Article
Facebook Feeds
Recent Tweets
Share This Article
Facebook Feeds
Recent Tweets

Disclaimer / TnC

Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.

Related Articles

Tata AIG Also Offers Insurance for the below products

Travel Insurance

Health Insurance

Two wheeler Insurance