How to Transfer the Ownership of Your Bike?

  • Author :
  • TATA AIG Team
  • Published on :
  • 28/06/2020

If you plan on buying or selling a bike and are wondering how to transfer bike RC under different circumstances, read on to understand the steps.

Just bought a bike? Here's how to transfer bike RC

It has become much easier to buy and sell vehicles today than what it used to be, say, a decade ago, thanks to the internet. However, you might still have some questions about how to transfer RC of bike online and how to transfer bike ownership. Since these are essential steps that you have to follow when you sell or purchase a bike, here's a look at what happens in the following three cases: in the case of a sale, in the case of death of the bike owner and in the case of auction.

Forms to be filled

The first step in the two wheeler transfer process is to notify the current RTO office about the sale of the bike and transfer of ownership. You will need to fill out the following forms:

Duly filled Form 28 (NOC): This is mandatory if the registration transfer is outside the state. If it is within the same state, it won't be necessary (unless otherwise specified by the RTO). Form 29: This is used for notifying the RTO about the change of ownership. The seller needs to sign this and affix a passport-sized photograph. Form 30: It notifies the transfer of ownership, and would have signatures of the buyer and seller, along with their photographs. You also need to attach an imprint of your bike's engine/chassis number.

Major documents required

You will need to have the following in hand:

  • Original Registration Certificate (RC) of the bike issued by the RTO.
  • Valid Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate.
  • Sale letter or sale receipt has to be procured at the time of buying the motorcycle. This will have signatures of the buyer and the seller and acts as proof of the deal.
  • Road tax certificate from the previous owner must be submitted to the RTO along with other documents.
  • Valid identity proof and permanent address proof, such as Aadhaar card/ electricity bill/ voter ID/ passport must be presented.
  • If the bike was financed, an NOC from the bank or lending institution would be necessary.

How to transfer bike ownership in case of death of the owner

In case the original owner of a bike passes away, the registering authority must be informed within 30 days about your intention to use the vehicle. Make sure you apply for Form 31 within three months of the original owner's death. Apart from the usual documents you have to submit others such as the NOC and PUC. You will also have to provide the death certificate of the registered owner, a declaration by the applicant and all other legal heirs of the deceased and proof of succession.

How to transfer bike ownership through public auction

In case you purchase your bike through a public auction, your name will be registered as the owner. Some additional documents you will have to provide are a certified copy of the order of the state or central government authorising the auction of the vehicle, and order of sale signed by the person conducting the suction.

Transfer of insurance

Vehicle insurance is a significant part of ownership, and thus, it needs to be transferred too in the name of the new owner. Within two weeks of the sale, the new owner will have to get the bike insurance transferred in their name. The original document of the policy will have to be handed over to complete the process.

These are the steps involved that should address your queries on how to transfer bike ownership or how to transfer bike RC. Make sure you #ThinkAhead and have all the documents ready so that you have a smooth transfer process!

Share This Article
Facebook Feeds
Recent Tweets
Share This Article
Facebook Feeds
Recent Tweets

Disclaimer / TnC

Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.

Related Articles

Tata AIG Also Offers Insurance for the below products

Car Insurance

Travel Insurance

Health Insurance

Two Wheeler Insurance