What Is The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMAY)?
- Author :
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
In times of uncertainty such as the ones that have been prevailing across the globe over the past two years, it is more important than ever before to look after one's health and well-being. One of the easiest ways of doing so is buying a health insurance policy that can provide you with extensive coverage against a wide gamut of illnesses and medical emergencies.
With the digital availability of different types of health insurance plans, you can buy health insurance online and have some degree of control over your financial security with regard to your health. There are several benefits of health insurance plans, such as a hospitalisation cover, a cover for ambulance expenses, and coverage for daycare procedures.
Whilst some of us are fortunate to be able to opt for an adequate medical insurance plan, a vast majority of the population is not. In order to cater to the health insurance requirements of the underprivileged sections of the population of India, the Government of India has launched several flagship welfare schemes, one of which is the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMAY).
The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMAY)
The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMAY) was launched in the year 2017 upon the recommendation of the National Health Policy, 2017. Carrying the aim of attaining 'Universal Health Coverage' in India, the PMAY revolves around the delivery of need-based healthcare. There are two main components of this scheme, which have been discussed below:
1. Health and Wellness Centres: The Health and Wellness Centres established under the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana are aimed at providing Comprehensive Primary Health Care to people and reducing the risk of occurrence of chronic ailments. In 2018, the Government of India had announced the plan to establish 1.5 lakh such centres across the country.
2. The Pradhan Mantri Jan-Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY): The Pradhan Mantri Jan-Arogya Yojana under the ambit of the PMAY is the largest health insurance programme in the world. Promising an annual health insurance coverage of ₹5 lakhs per family for more than 10 crore underprivileged families in India, this scheme covers both secondary and tertiary hospitalisation. The Pradhan Mantri Jan-Arogya Yojana has the goal to benefit more than 50 crore individuals constituting the bottom 40 per cent of the income group in India.
Benefits of The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMAY)
Here are some of the major benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Jan-Arogya Scheme under the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana:
- A health insurance cover of ₹5 lakh per family per annum
- Provision of cashless health insurance to over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families in the country
- Coverage for hospitalisation expenses for up to 3 days
- A post-hospitalisation cover of up to 15 days, including the expenses for diagnostics and medicines
- Coverage for pre-hospitalisation expenses
- A cover for all pre-existing conditions from the first day of enrolment in the scheme
- No ceiling on the number of family members one can cover under this scheme
- Coverage for 1,393 medical procedures and all the costs pertaining to those procedures
- Coverage for the expenses for drugs, physician's fee, surgeon's fee, OT and ICU charges, room charges, etc.
- Coverage for accommodation expenses
- Coverage for food expenses
- Coverage for the cost of Medical Implantation Services
The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana Eligibility Criteria (PMAY)
The eligibility criteria for enrolment in the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana are as follows: 1. For Rural Beneficiaries: All families residing in any rural area in India and fulfilling one or more of the deprivation criteria mentioned below are eligible for enrolment in the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana.
|D1||Families living in one room with under constructed walls and roof|
|D2||Families with no adult member in the age group of 16 to 59 years|
|D3||Families who have no male members between the ages of 16 and 59 years|
|D4||Families that have adult members with disabilities|
|D5||Families belonging to the Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes|
|D7||Families that have no land of their own and earn their income, at least in part, from manual casual labour|
In addition to the families falling under the above-mentioned deprivation criteria, the following people are automatically eligible for enrolment in the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana.
● People living on alms ● Household engaged in manual scavenging ● Families belonging to primitive tribal groups ● Legally released bonded labour
2. For Urban Beneficiaries: People living in the urban areas of the country and engaged in any of the following 11 occupations are eligible to be enrolled in the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana: ● Ragpicking ● Begging ● Domestic Labour ● Street Vending ● Construction Work, Plumbing, Masonry, Welding ● Sweeping and Sanitation Work ● Artisanship, Handicraft work, and Tailoring ● Driving, Cart pulling, Rickshaw Pulling ● Working in shops, working as peons, attendants, or waiters ● Working as an electrician, mechanic, and repair, and assembly worker ● Working as a watchman or delivering laundry services
Here's How You Can Enrol In The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMAY
The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana Registration process is simple and swift. Here are the steps you need to follow to get enrolled in the scheme.
- Visit the official website of the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana
- Click on 'Am I Eligible' to check your eligibility for the scheme
- Enter your mobile number to initiate the Ayushman Bharat Yojana registration process
- Select the state you live in
- Enter either your name, ration card number or mobile number to check your eligibility for the PMAY
If you are eligible for enrolment in the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana, you can complete the enrolment process and get your Ayushman Bharat Card. Thereafter, you can enjoy all the benefits offered by the scheme.
To Sum It Up
The Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMAY) is an excellent public welfare programme aimed at the enhancement of the level of penetration of health insurance in the country. With the easy process of the Ayushman Bharat Yojana Registration, you can check your eligibility for the scheme in a hassle-free and swift manner.