UK Visa for Indians
UK Visa for Indians
Get Travel Insurance plan for the UK, starting at just ₹40.82 per day* (with COVID-19 covered).
Travelling is something that we all live for. Most of us work tirelessly to book a vacation to someplace at the year's end to unwind. The UK is one of the most popular travel destinations for people worldwide. So, curating an itinerary for the UK could be exciting whether you are looking for a solo trip, a trip with your family, or an adventure sojourn with your friends.
Deciding on the places to visit in the UK might take months. You will first have to start mapping what you would like to keep on your travel list. Prepping and planning for your most coveted trip to the UK will be definitely time-consuming. And once you are ready with a plan, you will have to think about a UK visa.
While planning a trip to the UK, you must keep the necessary information about the places in mind. And getting a travel insurance policy for the UK trip is essential too. With a robust travel insurance plan for the UK, you will have the necessary coverage against several medical and trip-related difficulties during your stay there.
With Tata AIG’s official website, you can compare travel insurance plans and choose a plan that best suits your needs. If you’re travelling with your family, then don’t worry about getting separate policies for each member; instead, opt for a family travel insurance plan from Tata AIG and get adequate coverage for all your family members at affordable premiums.
Our international travel plans offer good UK visitor visa from India coverage. Our travel plans start at just ₹40.82 per day*, and our travel insurance for the UK provides entire journey cover, local assistance, luggage cover, medical cover, etc.
What Exactly Is a UK Visa?
For Indian travellers to the United Kingdom, a UK visa is necessary. However, a UK visa isn't mandatory for Canadians, Americans, and Australian passport holders. A visa for your UK visit from India will take two weeks to process. But it’s not difficult to get a UK visa from India. As long as you have every single document ready and you are sure of your visa requirements, you will not have any problem getting a UK tourist visa from India.
You can apply for UK visa from India through a British Consulate or Embassy. This visa will permit you to travel to the UK from India as a tourist. Apart from that, even if you need to transit through any one of the destinations in the UK, a UK visa is required. Such a visa is also often referred to as a London visa as it allows visitors to visit London from other parts of the world.
The UK comprises four different European countries, namely –
- Northern Ireland
So, if you plan a trip to any of the countries mentioned above, a UK visa is mandated. It is also advisable to apply for a UK visa and not an individual visa for every country you visit on your UK trip. This single visa will allow you to visit every destination in the four countries listed above.
Kinds of UK Visa for Indian Citizens
There are five different types of UK visas for Indian citizens –
- UK Visitors Visa (Standard)
UK Standard Visitors visa comprises a UK tourist visa and a UK business visa. If you plan your trip to the UK, you can apply for this visa, valid for 6 months. Also, if you need to visit the UK for research purposes, the validity of the visa can be extended up to 11 months. Again, for visiting the UK for medical treatments, the validity of the visa can be extended up to a year.
If a traveller needs to visit the United Kingdom and stay there for more than 6 months, they need to apply for a biometric residence permit. So, if you are not really sure about how long you will need to stay in the UK during your next visit, it’s better to apply for this kind of visa to be safe. If you are a frequent flyer to the UK, you can also apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa, whose validity could be 2 years, 5 years, and 10 years.
- UK Transit Visa
This visa type is for all those non-British citizens who need to transit through the UK to visit any other destination. A UK transit visa will allow you to be at any one of the UK international airports from where you will need to board the connecting flight to some other destination. Again, the UK transit visa is of two types –
a. UK Direct Airside Transit Visa
This one is for the non-British citizens who aren’t passing through the UK border control.
b. Visitor in Transit Visa
This one is for non-British citizens who need to pass through the UK border control and leave the country within 48 hours.
- UK Marriage Visitor Visa
For non-British citizens who wish to get married in the United Kingdom or file for a civil partnership, apply for this visa. Also, for non-British citizens who need to visit the UK for giving notice regarding their marriage or civil partnership, needs to apply for this visa type. However, you must know that this visa will not allow you to settle down in the UK post-marriage or civil partnership.
- The UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa
If any UK-based business or a company professional invites a non-British citizen who has certain expertise in any specific profession, they need to apply for this kind of UK visa. This visa is also valid for those who wish to visit the UK to complete any paid work over there.
- UK Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa
This visa is applied by the parents of a child who needs to get admitted to a school in the UK by paying regular UK visa fees. In order to apply for this visa, the child needs to be less than 12 years old.
Duration of Different Kinds of UK Visas
The validity period of a UK visa depends on the visa type one has applied for.
|Types of UK Visitor Visa
|UK Standard Visitors Visa
|6 months, 11 months (if travelling for medical treatments), 12 months (for scholars),2 years, 5 years, 10 years (for long-term Standard Visitor visa applicants)
|UK Transit Visa
|24 hours – 48 hours
|UK Marriage Visitor Visa
|The UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa
|UK Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa
|6 months – 12 months
Who Should Apply for a UK Visa from India?
Every Indian citizen who needs to travel to the UK should apply for a UK visa. Whether it’s for a short vacation or a long-term stay in the UK, applying for a visa is a must. Even the ones who need to travel for work has to apply for a UK visa. So much so, that the people transiting through the UK need a valid transit visa to legally await their connecting flight at any one of the UK international airports.
Indian citizens must obtain a valid UK visa from the United Kingdom Embassy or Consulate if they plan to visit more than one UK country. The main destination in the UK indicates the country where the applicant will spend the maximum length of their trip.
If you are travelling to the UK with your family, and need to apply for a UK visa, ensure that you buy the right UK visitor visa from India for your family.
When Should One Apply for a UK Visa for Indians?
The process of getting a UK visa from India takes around 3 weeks. For a Family visa, the usual duration is around 12 weeks. So, you need to keep in mind your travel dates while applying for a UK visa.
How Can Indian Nationals Apply for a UK Visa?
The UK visa application process is very simple nowadays. You can visit the official website of the UK government to choose your visa type and then apply for the same online. Apart from that, websites like VFS can also help you apply for a UK visa from India. Follow the below-mentioned steps to apply for a UK visa –
- First, you will need to understand the type of UK visa you will need to travel to the UK.
- Now, once you are sure about the visa type, you can visit the official website of the UK government and choose the ‘Visa and Immigration’ section.
- Select the visa category and then apply for the same.
- Keep all the documents in place and be very careful while filling up the visa application form online.
- Book an appointment online with the UK visa application centre.
- Do not forget to visit the centre on the specified date and submit your biometric details there.
- You need to attend the visa interview, and once cleared, your visa will be issued to you.
Documents Needed to Apply for UK Visa for Indians
All UK Visa applicants are required to submit a few important documents during the time of application. Here's a list of all the documents you will need to submit along with your visa application form to get a UK visa:
- A valid Indian passport
- Documents supporting your financial position (bank statements/financial standing of your sponsor/ details of your employment)
- For students, academic proof and a letter on the letterhead of the institution proving their enrolment in any one of the UK colleges/universities
- For employees, a letter from the employer on the letterhead of the company mentioning their current designation and salary details
- For business owners, documents substantiating the registration of the business, name of the owner, etc.
- Legal residential address in India for Indian travellers
UK Visa Fees
UK visa fees India is different for the different types of visas. All applicants applying for a UK visa need to pay a certain amount as a visa fee during the submission of the application along with the documents. The following table shows the UK visa fees payable by applicants based on their visa type:
*(The price of one pound in Indian valuation currently stands at ₹99.57. However, rates may change depending on the market). *VFS Global Services charges a service fee besides the UK visa fee.
Travel Insurance Policy for UK Visa
Travelling to the United Kingdom could be fascinating for every traveller from India. The country boasts of some amazing travel destinations, and you will be overwhelmed with the rich experiences you will have during your stay over there. Whether you are planning a trip for leisure or business, you need to be fully prepared for every kind of trip-related adversity. And for that, choosing the best travel insurance plan for the UK is a must. Get a family travel insurance policy if you are making the trip with your family members so that all you can stay safe from uncertain emergencies and make the most out of your trip!
A travel medical policy will tackle the major health or accident issues that may hamper your trip to the UK. With Tata AIG’s travel insurance’s financial assistance to travellers, you can be assured of not burning a hole in your pocket! Accidents may arise at any point in time. You may fall sick or meet with an accident. Moreover, you may lose your passport,luggage or other essentials. Your flight may get delayed or cancelled. And during such tough times, you will not know where to go and whom to approach for help.
At Tata AIG's official website, you can compare travel insurance plans online and find the right match for your insurance needs with our travel insurance premium calculator.
How Can One Check Their UK Visa?
You can check your UK visa application progress by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit the VFS Global website or the UK government’s official website
- Choose the UK Embassy/Consulate where you had applied for your visa
- Select the tab on the menu bar showing 'Book an appointment’
- Scroll down the mentioned page and press the 'Track now' button which is under 'Track your application'
- You will need to enter your last name and reference number
- After filling the code, you will need to submit the necessary details
- You UK visa status will now be displayed right on the screen
UK Visa - Post-COVID Mandatory Documents
The ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic has drastically changed the way people travel internationally. However, as the virus is losing its grip over our lives, currently, entry restrictions have been lifted by the UK government for its international visitors. You must check the travel restrictions in the United Kingdom before booking your tickets.
Reasons for the Rejection of UK Visa Application
Your application for a UK visa may be rejected because of the following reasons:
- Submission of inaccurate/incomplete visa application form
- History of immigration crimes or involvement in criminal activities
- No clear proof of one's plans and purpose from going or returning from the UK
- Insufficient documentary evidence required to prove your visa application
Things to Know About the UK
Before travelling to the UK, you should be aware about the mandatory documents required for travel. You should also be well-equipped with certain key information about this magnificent country, for instance:
- UK’s official currency is a sterling pound.
- It is located in North-western Europe and comprises a total area of 242,900 km.
- The country's full name is The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland.
- British universities are some of the best places to study in the world.
- Britons usually start their education at the very young age of three years.
- There are several UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the UK that you must keep in your travel itinerary.
What Should One Explore When They Arrive in the UK?
The UK is composed of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. And this has been a top-favourite for tourists from all over the world. The UK has a rich culture, beautiful countryside, stunning landscapes, and more. Here are the things in the UK that you must explore –
- Admire the stunning beauty of the Lake District, the second-largest National Park in the UK.
- A visit to Cambridge and give a glimpse of its true culture.
- Pay a visit to the city of Chester to be a part of its 2000 years old culture.
- A visit to the quaint and charming Cornwall, located in the westernmost point of the UK.
- The walled city of York to witness the meeting of River Foss and River Ouse.
- Visit Edinburgh to pay close attention to its cultural importance.
- Stonehenge could be a visitor’s paradise and is also one of the most popular locations in the UK.
- The Scottish Highlands can give you a glimpse of rugged nature and its wonders.
The display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and any other subject matter of intellectual property on this page pertains and belongs to their respective owners. The display of such intellectual properties on this page must not be construed as an indication of Tata AIG's association or partnership with the owners of said intellectual property.
*Subject to change based on the nature, extent and duration of the travel insurance policy.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.
1. Why do Indians need a visa to travel to the UK?
1. Why do Indians need a visa to travel to the UK?
You need to apply for a UK visa to enter the UK, whether as a tourist, scholar, or medical. You need to apply for a UK visa well in advance and should know the exact type of visa as per your travel plans before applying for the same.
2. Is it easy to get a UK visa?
Applying for a United Kingdom visa to travel to the UK is relatively straightforward. You can visit the UK government’s official website to learn more about the UK visa procedure online.
3. What happens to the application fees if the UK Visa is rejected?
There is no option of refunding application fees even if the visa application is rejected. Hence, it is advisable to carefully follow every single guideline before submitting the documents and applying online to avoid such circumstances.
4. How can one purchase travel insurance for the UK?
One can easily buy the Tata AIG Travel Insurance Plan for the UK by simply following the steps mentioned below:
- One needs to open Tata AIG's official website and visit the Travel Insurance page.
- In the tab named 'Travelling to', enter the UK as your preferred travel destination
- One needs to enter the starting and ending date of their UK trip.
- Select the 'Get Plan' option to fetch the Tata AIG UK Travel Insurance Plans that they can pick from.
- One must submit the essentials and particulars like name, contact details, address, etc.
- Select the 'Get Quote' option to receive the travel insurance quote.
- One needs to pay the premium charges online if they feel the quote is suitable.
- Download their Tata AIG UK Travel Insurance Plan copy by going to their registered email ID.
5. What does Tata AIG's Travel Insurance for UK Plan Cover?
Tata AIG Travel Insurance UK Plan puts forward the following covers:
- Journey cover
- Medical cover
- COVID-19 cover
- Hijack cover
- Luggage cover
- Personal Liability cover
- Cover against sickness and accidents