Roadside Assistance Cover in Car Insurance
You have decided to go on that much-awaited road trip in your car – bags are packed, the car is serviced, car insurance is up-to-date, Google Maps is loaded, and the destination is set. The deserted roads, with trees on both sides, are great for the drive. But what happens if your car breaks down in the middle of this nothing? It can be anything – a flat tyre, mechanical breakdown, electrical fault!
Understanding Roadside Assistance Cover in Car Insurance
The first thing that comes to mind is Googling the nearest garage or service centre. However, these services, especially in remote locales or at night-time, come at a premium. But, if you have opted for a Roadside Assistance Cover with your comprehensive four wheeler insurance, then the insurance company will send in the much-needed assistance.
What is Roadside Assistance Cover in car insurance?
With comprehensive insurance for 4-wheelers, you can enhance your coverage by including necessary add-ons to your policy. Roadside Assistance cover is one such add-on.
Roadside Assistance Cover in car insurance offers assistance to the car owner if their car is stranded in the middle of the road due to mechanical, hardware or electrical failure, low fuel, etc. Available as an add-on, with the payment of a small sum, you are assured of round-the-clock assistance by your car insurance company. The car insurance company ties up with service centres and garages across the country to offer you quick aid in your time of need. The garages are equipped to handle all the potential problems you might face on the road and which are covered under the company’s Roadside Assistance package.
What is Included in the Roadside Assistance Cover?
There are three major types of support that a roadside assistance service offers: ⦁ Towing Support ⦁ Repair Support ⦁ Alternate Provision Support
With Roadside Assistance Cover, the insurance company will tow your car to the nearest network garage or service centre if your car is involved in an accident or a collision. Additionally, if your car breaks down in the middle of the road due to mechanical failure or an electrical issue, then the insurance company will tow it to the network garage. This service is provided only if the car cannot be repaired on the spot.
This service is offered as an on-the-spot repair facility when your car does not need to be moved to a network garage and can be repaired immediately on the spot. There can be multiple issues when this support is needed:
- Certain electrical parts/components malfunctioning: With more and more car models adopting automatic or computerised components, a small malfunction in any of the parts can cause the car to break down. With roadside assistance, the insurer will ensure a technician reaches you and takes care of the malfunction.
- Battery discharging: The irritation and frustration that sets in if the battery discharges are too real! If you have opted for the roadside assistance cover, you can get a technician sent to your location to jump-start the battery and help you resume your journey.
- Flat tyres need changing: While most individuals have a spare tyre in the car, it might not be possible to change the tyres for everyone. In this case, insurers provide a flat tyre service wherein a technician from a nearby network garage will come and help you change the tyre. You can also get a new tyre (at additional costs) if you do not have a spare tyre with you.
- Fuel tank emptying with no fuel pump in sight: If you get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no fuel in the car’s tank, fret not! With the roadside assistance cover, the insurance company will send you fuel to your location so that you are back on the road in no time (fuel volume limits and additional charges may apply).
Alternate Provision Support:
Under this feature, the insurance company will provide you with either accommodation, temporary mode of transport or alternate key in case of emergencies.
The insurance company will provide an alternate mode of transport – cab services or alternate car for a few days if your car requires more than a few hours to get repaired. There might be charges for the cab services, so confirm with your insurance company beforehand.
Sometimes, the insurer may also offer accommodation facilities if your car breaks down far away from your home. This facility is only provided if an alternate mode of communication to take you back home cannot be arranged.
Insurers also offer a key retrieval service if you lose your key, and the alternate/additional key needs to be picked up from your home.
Should you opt for a Roadside Assistance Cover when you buy car insurance online?
While this car insurance add-on cover is a good option for everyone, you should definitely opt for it, if:
- You drive a used/old car as they are more prone to break down.
- You travel often and regularly drive through unfamiliar terrains.
- You need help with minor repairs or tyre change.
If you already have insurance for your car, you can add a roadside assistance cover during car policy renewal.
Roadside Assistance from Tata AIG Car Insurance Online
Tata AIG car insurance offers roadside assistance support in case of on-spot repairs, flat tyre, key retrieval service, battery jump-start, emergency towing support, concierge service, emergency fuel delivery. Our roadside assistance number is 1800 266 7780. Save this number and call us for quick assistance whenever required!
Thus, roadside assistance cover offers extensive support in case of a range of car issues. Therefore, when buying a car insurance policy, ensure that you browse through the add-ons carefully and choose the correct additional coverage that you might need. Do consider the roadside assistance cover to avail of all the aforementioned services.
What is Roadside Assistance Insurance?
It is an insurance cover through which insurance companies offer support facilities if your car breaks down in the middle of the road.
Will my insurance go up if I use Roadside Assistance?
Roadside Assistance is an add-on cover, so including it in your policy will raise the premium cost. However, availing of roadside assistance when you are stranded will not affect your premium cost unless you file a claim for the repair of damages.
Is it worth getting breakdown cover with insurance?
You should definitely get a breakdown or roadside assistance cover if:
- You have an old car
- You cannot repair the car by yourself
- You drive long distances in your car regularly
Is it cheaper to get breakdown cover with car insurance?
Yes, it is cheaper to buy breakdown cover as an add-on with an existing car insurance polic