RTO in Kochi, rto kochi, rto office in kochi, kochi vehicle registration number
RTO in Kochi
The RTO office of Kochi was established to carry out the rules and provisions specified under sections 213(1) of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. It comes under the jurisdiction of the Kerala Transport Department and is headed by the Commissioner of the Transport Department, Kochi.
RTO in Kochi Overview
RTO Kochi looks after the development and changes in the Road Transport Technology, the pattern of passenger and freight movements, examines whether you have valid vehicle insurance while issuing the driving license and vehicle registration, and undertakes development of road networks in the state.
Official Website: mvd.kerala.gov.in
List of RTO Offices in Kochi
There are 18 RTO offices in the state of Kerala scattered in different locations undertaking responsibility for a diverse range of vehicular services. The RTO office in Kochi is one of them. Every vehicle that runs on the roads of Kochi is allotted a Kochi vehicle registration number that helps identify the jurisdiction it represents. The following table provides contact details and address of the RTO office in Kochi:
RTO Kochi KL – 07 Kakkanad Regional Transport Office (RTO), 2nd floor, Civil Station, Kakkanad, Ernakulam, Kerala – 682030 0484 – 2422246 Kl07@keralamvd.gov.in
Office working timings: 10 AM to 5 PM (Monday to Saturday).
Kochi RTO Registration Charges
At RTO Kochi, the amount charged for vehicle registration varies depending on the vehicle type, the purpose for which it will be used, the seating capacity, and applicable taxes. The table below mentions the registration charges at the RTO office of Kochi:
Motorcycle, scooter, or two-wheeler ₹50
Three-wheeler, quadricycle, or four-wheeler (private use) ₹600
Three-wheeler, quadricycle, or four-wheeler (commercial, transport, or public use) ₹1,000
Imported motorcycles ₹2,500
Heavy passenger vehicle ₹1,500
Heavy goods vehicle ₹1,500
Medium passenger motor vehicle ₹1,000
Medium goods vehicle ₹1,000
Imported motor vehicle ₹5,000
Other vehicles ₹3,000
Duplicate registration certificate (RC) 50% of the aforementioned charges
Functions of RTO Kochi
There is a lot that goes on in the background of a vehicular industry especially concerning the operational aspects. An RTO office of every city is entrusted with several essential vehicular tasks to streamline motor vehicle laws and regulations. Some of its primary functions include:
Driver-related RTO services:
- Issuance of driving license:
- Learner’s license
- Permanent driving license
- Duplicate driving license in the event of loss of the original one
- International driving license
- Conducting driving tests
- Approving a change of address
- Including the purchase of new vehicles under the existing driver’s license
Vehicle-related RTO services:
- Issuing and renewing registration certificates (RC) to commercial as well as private vehicles
- Granting transfer of vehicle ownership certificate
- Issuing a duplicate RC
- Change of address in the RC
- Issuing a No Objection Certificate (NOC) for vehicles transferring to a different state
- Permits for goods carriage
- Issuing national permits
- Inspecting vehicles at check posts
- Issuing trade certificates and their duplicate
- Hypothecation, endorsement, and termination
- Issuing fitness certificates to vehicles
- Collection of road taxes and penalties
- Providing LPG or CNG conversion
How to Register a Vehicle at RTO Kochi?
Vehicle registration is one of the primary tasks performed by an RTO office. At the time of a new vehicle purchase, the dealer of the vehicle provides the new owner with a temporary vehicle registration that is valid for seven days from the date of issuance, which can be extended for a month by sending an application to RTO Kochi.
However, upon the termination of this term, permanent vehicle registration is mandatory, and its absence can lead to heavy penalties levied on the owner of the vehicle if caught by a traffic cop. Considering this, having your Kochi vehicle registration number is essential.
Here is a step-by-step guide for permanent registration of your vehicle with RTO Kochi:
Step 1: Download and duly fill the form number 20 available on the official RTO Kochi website. You have the provision to choose the language of your preference.
Step 2: Submit the form along with the necessary documents to the RTO office of Kochi.
Step 3: Your vehicle will be inspected for roadworthiness by the Superintendent of the RTO office.
Step 4: Once the verification is completed, the RTO office provides you with your Kochi vehicle registration number.
After the aforementioned steps are completed, a Registration Certificate (RC) Smart Card is delivered to the owner of the vehicle at their registered address.
How to Renew a Registration Certificate at RTO Kochi?
As per the provisions in the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, a vehicle can only be registered for 15 years, after which it will have to be renewed every five years, as long as your vehicle is roadworthy. The renewal of the RC is concerned with the RTO of the city or the state. To renew your RC in RTO Kochi, you are expected to visit the RTO office with the relevant documents. Appended is the list of documents required:
- The duly filled Form no. 25
- Original Registration Certificate (RC) or the RC card
- Professional tax certificate
- Valid vehicle insurance policy
- Current address proof and
- A document with the signature proof of the owner such as Aadhar Card
Once the aforementioned documents are submitted, the concerned person from the RTO office in Kochi will inspect the vehicle. Upon completion of the verification process, the renewed RC will be provided to the vehicle owner.
Documents Required to Register a Vehicle in Kochi
Having your vehicle registered is a mandatory requirement. It is better to have the documents ready when you go for registering your vehicle to avoid last-minute fluster and hassle. The documents required to register your vehicle at RTO Kochi are:
- Form number 21 or a sales certificate issued by the dealer
- Form number 22 representing the roadworthiness of your vehicle
- Identity proof of the vehicle owner and recent passport-sized photographs
- Proof of address
- Valid motor insurance that can be purchased online to save on time
- If you have imported your vehicle, you will need a customs bill
- Receipt of the paid tax and
- On certain occasions, an age certificate is required
Motor Insurance in Kochi
Several vehicle owners only purchase minimum motor insurance, thinking that because they are cautious drivers, a comprehensive cover is not required. However, accidents are an unpredictable eventuality that burn a hole in your pocket in the absence of comprehensive motor insurance.
To prevent thwarting your financial planning arising out of unforeseen contingencies a comprehensive vehicle insurance is highly recommended. Comprehensive vehicle insurance not only undertakes the mandatory third-party liabilities in the event of an accident but also protects own vehicle in such a scenario.
Tata AIG car insurance offers a protective cover against all kinds of road risks while assisting you with your vehicle’s upkeep and maintenance. Regardless of how meticulous a driver you may be, there is always a possibility of a bump, scratch, or crash that could lead to hefty repair bills.
Acknowledging that consumers of today are always pressed for time, Tata AIG motor insurance is a simple three-step process:
- Fill the online form available on the Motor Vehicles page of our website.
- Choose from a host of riders to strengthen your vehicle insurance.
- Once you pay for the selected policy, a soft copy of the insurance is shared with you via email.
Frequently Asked Question
What are the types of driving licenses issued by the RTO office of Kochi?
Issuing and renewing driving license forms an essential part of the RTO services. It is a document stating your eligibility to drive a certain kind of vehicle on public roads. Here are the types of driving license issued by RTO Kochi:
- Motorcycle with an engine capacity of up to 50cc
- Two-wheeler without gear
- Two-wheeler with gear
- License for Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs)
- License for medium/heavy commercial vehicles
What are the documents required for a driving license (DL) in RTO Kochi?
Aside from the application form, here is the list of documents required for the application for a driving license in Kochi:
- Passport Size Photographs
- PAN Card
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- Proof of Address
- Birth Certificate
- Learner's License
- Challan stating DL fees paid
Is buying a car insurance policy mandatory in Kochi?
Under the Motor Vehicle Act, buying car insurance is made mandatory. Aside from the mandatory requirement, vehicle insurance ensures your protection while on the roads.
What is a PUC certificate?
PUC stands for ‘Pollution Under Control.’ It is a necessary document while driving in India. A PUC certificate implies that your vehicle emissions are within the prescribed limits under pollution norms.