RTO In Mumbai
RTO In Mumbai
Mumbai, formerly known as Bombay, is one of the most populous and the capital city of Maharashtra. Owing to its popularity and numerous opportunities, Mumbai has become the commercial and financial centre of the country. As per statistics, Mumbai is also the most densely populated urban area in the world. A large number of people imply more traffic and a greater need for management.
RTO In Mumbai Overview
For this purpose, RTO Mumbai was established under section 213 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. RTO Mumbai is one of the busiest RTO offices in the country and operates under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transport of Maharashtra.
Official website of RTO Mumbai: transport.maharashtra.gov.in
List of RTO Offices in Mumbai
There are five RTOs in Mumbai, each serving to function as per the provisions laid by the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. RTO Mumbai manages all transport and traffic-related aspects of the most populous city of Maharashtra.
Here is a complete list of all Mumbai RTOs:
Tardeo RTO (South Mumbai) MH-01 Old Bodyguard Lane, Tulsiwadi, Tardeo, Mumbai, Maharashtra Pincode - 400034 91-22-24932337, 91-22-24944601, 91-22-24944602
Andheri RTO (Western Suburb Mumbai) MH-02 Regional Transport Office, D/111, Ambivali Village, Versova Road, Near Manish Nagar, Andheri (West), Mumbai - 400053 91-22-6362252, 91-22-26366957, 91-22-26319821, 91-22-26323315
Worli Deputy RTO (South Mumbai) MH-03 25/Sir Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Maharashtra - 400025 91-22-24935857
Wadala RTO Office (Harbour Mumbai East) MH-03 B/2, 3rd Floor, Wadala Truck Terminal, Wadala Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra - 400037 91-22-24036221, 91-22-24036479
Dahisar Deputy RTO (Western Suburb) MH-47 Dy. Regional Transport Officer, Wing-A Link Rd, Kandarpada Anand Park, Dahisar West, Near Borivali, Mumbai - 400068 91-22-26366957, 91-22-26362252, 91-22-26319821, 91-22-26323315
All Mumbai RTO Offices are open from 10 AM till 5 PM (Monday to Saturday).
RTO Offices in Navi Mumbai
Vashi Deputy RTO MH-43 Block T, Sector 19/B, APMC Market, Navi Mumbai, Vashi, 400705 022- 27650701
Panvel Deputy RTO MH-46 Central facility building, Steel Market, Kalamboli, Panvel Taluka, District Raigad, Maharashtra 410218 022-27424444
These Mumbai RTO Offices are open from 10:30 AM till 5:30 PM (Monday to Saturday).
Mumbai RTO Registration Charges
Below are the registration charges in Mumbai for different vehicles:
Invalid carriage 50
Imported two-wheeler 5,000
Light motor vehicle (LMV) 600
Medium goods and passenger vehicle 1,000
Heavy good vehicle passenger 1,500
Imported motor vehicle 5,000
Any other vehicle apart from the above 3,000
Light commercial vehicle 1,000
Functions of Mumbai RTO
The Mumbai RTO is primarily responsible for carrying out the rules and regulations as specified in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The main functions of Mumbai RTO include:
- Issuing learner’s driving license
- Renewing driver’s licenses
- Conducting driving tests
- Issuing duplicate driver’s license
- Issuing new driving license in Mumbai
- Issuing temporary registration certificate (RC)
- Issuing permanent registration certificate (RC)
- Renewing registration certificate
- Transferring ownership of a vehicle
- Transferring of ownership of a vehicle with a loan
- Issuing the No Objection Certificate (NOC)
- Updating new address
- Issuing duplicate licenses for radio cabs
- Collecting road taxes
- Issuing tourist vehicle permit
- Writing lading bill
- Issuing national permits for public and private carriers
- Approving special permit applications
- Issuing all India tourist vehicle permits
- Issuing specific contract carriage permits
- Issuing private service permits
- Issuing temporary permits
- Issuing fitness certificates for vehicles
- Conduct road safety campaigns
- Collecting road taxes
How to Register a Vehicle at Mumbai RTO
You can register your vehicle online at the official website of the Mumbai RTO or visit the local RTO for registration. In both cases, you will need to submit relevant documents along with the application form and pay your vehicle registration fee.
For permanent registration, you must register the vehicle within seven days of purchase, apart from the days of temporary registration.
Here is how you can register a vehicle at Mumbai RTO:
- Download and fill the RTO Form 20 from the official website of Mumbai RTO
- Submit necessary documents like Sale certificate Form 21, Form 22 – Central Motor Vehicle Rules, certificate of roadworthiness in Form 22, address proof, temporary registration certificate, etc.
After submitting these documents, the RTO inspector will assess the vehicle, and the RTO office in Mumbai will grant a unique registration number for your vehicle.
How to Renew a Registration Certificate in Mumbai
It is mandatory to carry a valid RC to drive in Mumbai without any penalty. Hence, you will need to renew your RC if it expires. For private vehicles, the RC is valid for 15 years, and for commercial vehicles, the RC is valid for 3 years. To renew a registration certificate in Mumbai, you will need to provide these documents:
- Application Form 25
- Pollution certificate
- Registration certificate of the vehicle on original
- Valid motor insurance
- Fitness certificate
- Proof of payment of road tax
- Applicable renewal fee
When the documents are submitted, the RTO inspector assesses the vehicle, and the RTO office in Mumbai will renew the registration certificate.
Documents Required to Register a Vehicle in Mumbai
To register a vehicle in Mumbai, you need to submit these documents:
- RTO Form 20 for vehicle registration
- Form 21 sale certificate by the dealer specifying the purchase
- Form 22 roadworthiness certificate from the manufacturer
- Form 22-A in case the body of the vehicle is fabricated
- Invoice of the vehicle
- Temporary registration
- Motor insurance documents
- Address proof
- Customs bills in case of an imported vehicle registration
- STA approval for trailer or semi-trailer vehicles
- Manufacturer’s certificate for commercial vehicles or carriage
- Road tax receipt if the vehicle is purchased from another state
Motor Insurance in Mumbai
RTO Mumbai is efficient in all its processes, and you can easily get your vehicle registered or renew your RC in the Mumbai RTO. Moreover, you can also transfer ownership, renew licenses, get permits, etc., from the Mumbai RTO for your vehicle. All of these requirements are important because they are mandated by law. Further, you also need to buy valid insurance for your vehicle as it mandatory for all vehicles driving in India to have an insurance policy. You can easily get online insurance for a vehicle, which can be your financial support in times of dire need.
You can trust TATA AIG bike insurance and Tata AIA car insurance to provide you with an affordable and comprehensive vehicle insurance plan for your vehicles in India.
- Visit the Motor Insurance Page.
- Enter the Registration Number and click ‘Renew’ for existing policy renewal or ‘Get Price’ for a new insurance policy.
- Enter the necessary information. Select the nature and extent of your coverage.
- Choose from a list of attractive add-ons – 12 car insurance add-ons and 7 bike insurance add-ons.
- Make the premium payment online.
- Get the soft copy of your vehicle insurance policy in your email.
TATA AIG provides you with competitive features at highly pocket-friendly premiums. You also get a reliable brand, quick claim settlement, cashless claims and 24*7 customer support.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to pay RTO fine online in Mumbai?
Visit - echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan. Enter the challan number/vehicle number, the Captcha Code and press ‘Get Details’. Check the details of your traffic offence and the challan, and then proceed to pay the traffic fine as per the payment mode of your choice.
How can I renew my driving licence online in Mumbai?
- Fill the RTO Form 25 and submit documents, including the original registration certificate, address proof, passport-size photograph, etc., to renew your vehicle registration in Mumbai.
- How can I renew my Maharashtra driving licence online?
- You need to fill the RTO Form 25 and submit documents such as the original RC, address proof, passport-size photograph, etc., to renew your Maharashtra driving licence online.
How can I check the owner of a vehicle?
- Visit the official website of the RTO: parivahan.gov.in.
- Enter the vehicle registration number
- Enter the verification code displayed on the page.
- Click on “Check Status”
What is the penalty for the late registration of a vehicle?
For late registration of a private vehicle, the RTO charges a penalty of ₹500 per month from the expiry date and ₹300 per month for two-wheelers.