El Salvador Travel Insurance
El Salvador Travel Insurance
El Salvador is the smallest country in Central America and the most densely populated country in Central America, covering only about 21,040 km. Yet, it is the most densely populated one in that region. This mountainous country is located between Honduras to the northeast, Guatemala to the northwest, and the Pacific Ocean to the south. El Salvador is like an unexplored gen with a natural landscape, ancient Mayan ruins, and the local culture. El Salvador can be your choice if you are looking for an offbeat holiday destination and exploring some hidden gems of the world.
Known as the Land of Volcanoes, El Salvador has frequent earthquakes and volcanic activity. It has 25 recognised volcanoes, which are among the top tourist attractions. It is the only Central American country with no coastline on the Caribbean Sea.
El Salvador's official language is Spanish; however, a vast population is well-versed and communicates in English. A tiny population, around 1% of them speak their native language, Nahuat, and Q'eqchi.
When planning a vacation to El Salvador or any other place, ensure your travel insurance policy is in place. Irrespective of your planning and effort for an ideal vacation, you can never predict uncertainties. This is when El Salvador travel insurance can come to your rescue. Your travel insurance plan can cover you for medical emergencies, loss or delay of baggage, unexpected flight delays, etc., during your vacation or travel.
With 20+ years of expertise in the insurance sector, Tata AIG offers one of the finest travel insurance plans with comprehensive coverage and affordable rates. What's more? You can buy or renew our international travel insurance policy online, which is hassle-free, instant, and safe. Additionally, filing or settlement of the claim for your travel insurance policy is equally convenient.
Travel Insurance for El Salvador from India
Many countries have now mandated travel insurance for their international travellers. The need for travel insurance has been emphasised to ensure that foreign travellers or tourists stay financially stable if there are any unfortunate events during their stay in the country or while in transit.
El Salvador, however, does not mandate its international travellers to carry a travel insurance plan before entering the country. Yet, having overseas travel insurance makes immense sense and is highly recommended.
Medical expenses in El Salvador can be very high, especially for tourists, and the Consulates do not, in any circumstances, cover these expenses. Furthermore, travel medical insurance for El Salvador can give you the comfort of a stress-free trip to the country. Thus, consider buying travel insurance, preferably with medical evacuation coverage.
Why Do You Need Travel Health Insurance for El Salvador?
El Salvador has a lot to offer and always impresses its visitors. From volcano hiking to beautiful and secluded beaches and from the best surfing experience in the world to exploring the country's colonial towns and Mayan sites, the country makes for a perfect expedition.
In addition, Salvadorans (people of El Salvador) are famously known for their great hospitality and welcoming nature. This has earned El Salvador the nickname "the country with a smile".
For exploring such a fascinating country, ensure you are stress-free with adequate travel medical insurance for El Salvador.
Some reasons to buy travel insurance include the following:
To cover medical emergencies
The need for medical treatment while on vacation can be very stressful. Things can get tricky, from your plans going into havoc to needing proper assistance as to where you should go to get the first round of treatment. Moreover, medical costs can be an additional burden. Thus, a travel insurance policy can help you cover your financial situation in case of an accident or illness during your trip. In addition, if there is a need for medical evacuation, your insurance policy can help you with that.
To cover for unexpected events
Travelling to El Salvador from India can be arduous due to the long journey hours. Moreover, with a minimum of one-stop flights from India, baggage delay is common. Also, sometimes a situation can arise during the trip where you lose your baggage. During such circumstances, overseas travel insurance can help cover the cost of necessary personal items. Similarly, if you lose your passport, insurance can help you cover reasonable expenses for getting a fresh passport.
Many travel insurance plans also cover personal liability, trip curtailment and cancellation, and travel assistance. These reasons make overseas travel insurance a must-buy for everyone.
Benefits of Purchasing a Tata AIG Travel Insurance Plan for Your El Salvador Trip
As an informed and conscious traveller, consider buying a travel insurance plan for your trip to El Salvador. Let us look at some of the few benefits that Tata AIG International Travel Insurance Plan offers.
Medical coverage: Our policy covers everything from accident emergencies, illnesses that require hospitalisation, dental help, medical evacuations, or even death. If you are hospitalised and your policy expires, in that case, we shall continue with the coverage for more than 60 days or until you get discharged, whichever is earlier.
Baggage cover: Delay or loss of baggage during the trip can be very worrying. With the Tata AIG El Salvador travel insurance plan, our baggage cover offers you financial support to purchase essential personal items or reimburse the lost luggage cost.
Personal liability covers: If you, unfortunately, get involved in an accident that harms a third-party property or causes bodily injury to them during your trip, personal liability coverage can cover the expenses. In addition, the insurance will cover third-party medical expenses and repair costs of the damaged property.
Travel assistance: Travelling to new places can be super exciting. But at the same time, it can also be very challenging. So getting a little help can make a huge deal. In a time of need, if you need proper assistance with obtaining a quick medical treatment or applying for a new passport if it is lost, be assured our executives are just a call away.
- We provide additional COVID-19 coverage as an extra layer of protection
- You can compare, purchase or renew policies online at the ease of your home.
- You are not required to undergo any pre-policy health check-up.
- Travel health insurance for El Salvador from Tata AIG starts at ₹ 40.82 per day*.
- You pay a premium in INR and get covered in USD for your El Salvador trip.
Safety and Precautionary Measures to Undertake while Travelling to El Salvador from India
In recent years, El Salvador tourism is gaining popularity as it is considered the best surfing place in the world. The tourism industry has thus become an integral part of the country's economy. But, at the same time, El Salvador is known for infamous gang-related crimes. The crime rate in this country is the highest in the region.
So, below are some measures that you need to take before planning a trip to El Salvador.
- Violent crimes are widespread in El Salvador; avoid travelling alone or after dark.
- Petty crimes, too, are common. Thus, safeguard your belongings.
- Avoid crowded areas and places where there is unrest or protests.
- Follow local laws and ordinances.
- Hurricane season is from June to November; plan your trip accordingly.
- Since the country has active volcanoes, get assistance from local authorities on safe areas to trek or climb.
- Keep your passport handy
- Make electronic copies of all your documents
- During the wet season, insect-borne illnesses are common. Chikungunya is widespread.
- El Salvador offers basic medical facilities. Ensure your travel insurance plan covers medical evacuation.
- Research and plan properly before visiting any place.
- Maintain easy access to the Indian embassy's contact details.
- Before your trip, stay informed about the nation's latest political and economic environment.
- Take immense safety measures as the country is currently facing high levels of gang-related violence.
El Salvador Visa and Entry Requirements
Visa and tourist card
The El Salvador Visa Policy exempts nationals of around 86 countries and jurisdictions from visiting the country and staying for a maximum of 90 days without any visa. India is amongst those 86 countries. Thus, Indian citizens do not require a visa to travel to El Salvador.
However, anyone entering the country for tourism purposes (exempted from visa) must purchase a Tourist Card by paying $12 through cash, card, or bitcoin upon arrival. The tourist card provides a maximum validity of 30 days from the date of its issuance.
Apart from tourist cards, it is mandatory to have a valid passport with at least six months of validity remaining. Some Important Documents
- Always ensure you have digital copies and make photocopies of all the documents, including the stamped passport. You can keep these documents safe as an added precautionary measure. This practice can come in handy if the passport is lost or stolen.
- Every traveller must declare the reason for their trip upon entering the country.
- You may also have to present return tickets, proof of financial capacity (like a bank statement), and a hotel reservation or the person who will host you in the country.
- You can apply for an extension of your stay at least five working days before the end of your 3-month permit.
- COVID-19 norms
El Salvador does not have any COVID-19 restrictions on entry for its travellers. Tourists wishing to enter the country must present any COVID-vaccination or negative test results. However, remember that since these norms keep changing constantly, you should enquire about them just before you leave to avoid any inconvenience. You can check with your travel agent or the consulate for the correct information.
The use of masks is no longer mandatory and is a matter of choice. Although for preventive measures, we recommend wearing masks, especially in crowded and public areas. Some local shops, restaurants, malls, bars, etc., may ask you to use disinfectant or sanitiser before entering. They may even check your temperature for precautionary reasons.
El Salvador Travel Documents for Indian Nationals
Below are the documents required to travel to El Salvador from India.
- It would help if you held a valid original passport. The validity of your passport must be at least six months from the date of your travel. Also, there should be a minimum of 3 blank pages along with all the old passports, if any.
- There must be at least three filled and signed visa application forms.
- You require 2 Scanned recent colour photographs as per the required photo specifications.
- You must share your purpose of visit to the country in a Personal Covering letter. If you visit the country as a tourist, you can mention the same in your cover letter.
- You must attach Income Tax or Form 16 for the past three years.
- You must submit your original bank account statement (updated for the last six months), which is duly signed and sealed by the bank. This statement proves your financial position and that you have enough funds to travel and return to your country.
- You must also submit a copy of your return flight tickets from India to El Salvador.
- You must also provide proof of accommodation for your entire stay in El Salvador by submitting your hotel reservation.
- There are various supporting documents required as per your occupation.
- Employed individuals must submit a salary slip for the last three months with their leave sanction certificate with the company's seal.
- For self-employed individuals, you must submit your business proof, the last six months' company's bank account statement, and the previous three years' company's income tax return.
- If you are visiting a friend or relative in El Salvador, you must furnish the invitation letter mentioning the purpose of the visit and the relationship with the inviter.
Best Places to Visit and Top Things to Do in El Salvador
El Salvador is not your typical Central American country, mainly due to its distinctive culture. This country boasts of unique beauty within its compact landscape. With sprawling volcanoes, stunning scenery, fascinating history, tropical jungles, beautiful beaches, etc., there are plenty of fun things to do in El Salvador.
San Salvador city tour
San Salvador is the capital of El Salvador and is home to many fascinating archaeological sites, stunning colonial architecture monuments, and a volcano. You can take a full-day city tour to discover the city's highlights. This tour will typically include exploring the grand Metropolitan Cathedral, El Rosario Church, the National Theater and El Boquerón Volcano. You can also visit the crafts markets to buy souvenirs.
If you are a hiking enthusiast, you wouldn't want to miss climbing up the highest point in the country. The climb takes around an hour and a half to reach the top and is considered one of the easiest in the country to climb. The highest peak in the country, at 2730 metres, offers a breathtaking view of lush hills, wild forests and picturesque villages.
Santa Ana Volcano Hike
Take a scenic hike to the most prominent stratovolcano in Santa Ana – Ilamatepec. This volcano has been active since the 16th century with an emerald sulphurous crater lake. It is essential to hire a guide to climb the volcano, and they are inexpensive. Then, you can head to Lake Coatepeque, one of the ten largest craters of lakes in El Salvador. This volcanic lake has many hot springs, making it attractive to tourists. You can swim, take a boat ride, fish, or relax and enjoy the beautiful views.
Joya de Cerén
Joya de Cerén is an important archaeological site in El Salvador featuring a small pre-Columbian Maya farming village. The site is among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites and depicts everyday Mayan life, making it a popular place to visit in the country.
Surfing at Playa las Flores
Playas las Flores is considered the best place to surf in Central America. Since cliffs surround it, and the sands of las Flores face only the Pacific, this throws amazing waves crashing into the shore. The best time to surf in Playa las Flores is between December and February. If you are not that into adventure, you can take a beach tour and learn about El Salvador's surfing culture. You can relax your day by sunbathing, retreating to a beachside bar and enjoying a delicious cocktail.
Details of Indian Embassy/Consulate in El Salvador
India does not have an embassy or consulate in El Salvador as on February 2023. The Embassy of India in Guatemala is concurrently accredited to El Salvador.
|Working Hours||Monday to Friday 9:00 am. to 1:00 pm. 1:30 pm. to 5:30 pm. Consular Services: 9:00 am. to 11: 00 am. Receipt of applications 4:00 pm. to 5:00 pm. Delivery of documents|
|Telephone||(502) 2508-8891 / 2508-8162|
Details of El Salvadoran Embassy/Consulate in India
|Address||Embassy of the Republic of El Salvador F-48, Munirka Marg, Vasant Vihar New Delhi-110057|
|Working Hours||Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM|
|Contact||Telephone - +91-11-4608 8400 Fax: +91-11-4601 1688 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
El Salvador: Fast Facts
|Time Zone||America / El Salvador|
|Currency||United States dollar (USD), Bitcoin|
|Major International Airports||Monseñor Óscar Arnulfo Romero International Airport|
|Average Round-Year Temperature||22°C to 25°C|
|Best Time to Visit||December to March|
|Best Known for||The Land of Volcanoes, excellent surf spots, ancient Mayan ruins, archaeological sites, tasty Pupusas|
All the information mentioned above is well-researched and sourced from reliable sources. Since this information is subject to change, it is advisable to check the latest travel guidelines and other location-specific information before planning a trip to any location.
*Subject to change based on the nature and extent of the coverage.
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.
Frequently Asked Question
1. When is the best time to travel to El Salvador?
The best time to travel to El Salvador is during the dry season, i.e. from November to April. During these months, rainfall is less frequent, and travel is much more pleasant.
2. What is the purpose of the El Salvador visa?
An El Salvador visa is most appropriate for Indians travelling to El Salvador for business and recreational purposes such as holidaying, sightseeing, or even short family visits. The type of visa to enter El Salvador will depend on several factors, such as nationality, the purpose of your planned visit and duration.
3. What is the validity of an El Salvador Visa for Indians?
El Salvador visa is issued for 90 days.
4. Is there transportation within El Salvador?
Public transport, like buses and taxis, is the most common form of local transportation in El Salvador. When taking a taxi, look for an "A" precursor on the plate, which means a licensed cab.
5. What are the El Salvador travel insurance requirements for an Indian national?
While travel insurance is not mandatory for visiting El Salvador, buying your overseas travel insurance for El Salvador is recommended.
6. How do I get Tata AIG's travel medical insurance for El Salvador?
Buy El Salvador travel insurance from Tata AIG by following the below steps:
Step 1: Go to our International Travel Insurance page Step 2: Mention the travelling dates (date of departure and date of return) Step 3: Mention the number of travellers Step 4: Select the plan as per your requirement Step 5: Share more details, like your passport number, contact details, etc. Step 6: Make payment
We will share your travel insurance policy on your registered email address.
7. What is the El Salvador trip cost from India?
When you plan your trip, the El Salvador trip cost from India depends on various factors like the location you plan to live in, the places of visit, the type of hotel selected, etc. Have a look at the costs that you may have to pay for your trip to El Salvador:
- Hotel: 400 USD for a mid-range hotel for a week
- A meal in a restaurant: 12 USD per meal
- Bottled water: 0.92 USD
- Local transportation: 1.20 USD
- Entrance tickets and guide services: 15 USD
- Alcoholic beverages: 9 USD
- Car rentals: 49 USD to 139 USD
8. What is the travel health insurance cost for El Salvador?
The cost of travel health insurance for El Salvador depends on various factors. These factors include the duration of the trip, the number of people you need insurance for, the sum insured, the type of plan chosen and any add-ons if any. Tata AIG offers the best travel medical insurance for El Salvador at affordable premiums. You can calculate your estimated premium by using our travel insurance premium calculator.