Travel Insurance Europe
Travel Insurance for Europe
Are you planning to travel to Europe in the near future? Then you must select a suitable travel insurance plan to secure your trip. Here is all you need to know about Tata AIG's travel insurance plans for Europe.
Think majestic mountains, snow-covered slopes, mesmerising rivers, medieval architecture, old towns, and quaint cafes, and Europe is probably the first place that comes to mind. With its vast and diverse landscape and culture, Europe has long attracted the fantasy and patronage of tourists across the globe.
With its strategic location and important place in history, the continent has no dearth of world-renowned monuments, ancient and modern alike. From the cobbled streets of London to the banks of the Seine in Paris, from the Colosseum in Rome to the breathtaking Alps in Switzerland, Europe is a tourist's dream.
If you are planning to travel to Europe, it is important to buy overseas travel insurance with sufficient coverage for your journey. You can compare our travel insurance plans on our website and select the one most suited to your travel insurance requirements.
It is easy to file a Tata AIG travel insurance claim and be reimbursed for any expenses during your Euro travels that are covered under your travel insurance Europe plan.
Major benefits of having a travel insurance Europe plan
- Travel assistance
- Local assistance
- Hijack cover
- Coverage for baggage loss or delay
- Cover against personal liability
- Cover for accident and sickness
- Coverage for medical expenses associated with the diagnosis of and treatment for Covid-19 during your trip to Europe
- Instant online purchase of the Tata AIG travel insurance plan for Europe
- Feasible travel insurance for Europe from India, starting at just ₹40.82 per day
- Automatic extension of your travel insurance plan for Europe for 60 days in case of hospitalisation when the plan is nearing expiration
- Automatic extension of your Europe travel insurance plan for 7 days in the event of delay or cancellation of your return flight
Travel Insurance For Europe from India
Planning a journey to any international destination is a matter that requires considerable thinking and preparation. You would not want to be faced with an adverse situation in a foreign land without adequate protection to fall back on, now would you?! Therefore, it is important to engage in thorough research and planning before embarking on your Euro journey.
One of the most significant aspects of planning for a trip to Europe is understanding the local laws applicable in the countries you intend to visit as well as the visa and entry requirements thereof. No matter how careful and comprehensive you are with your planning and preparation, though, you cannot be immune to the impact of unforeseen circumstances such as the ones generated by the ongoing Covid-19 global pandemic.
The international travel landscape has been drastically altered in the wake of the pandemic, and flights to and from different nations have been largely restricted. Although international borders have been gradually reopening in the past few months, you must ascertain whether the European nations that are on your travel itinerary are allowing incoming flights and visitors. Furthermore, you must have information about the Covid-19 specific protocols in place there.
It is, therefore, incredibly important to have some semblance of security and protection during your Europe trip, which is why you must purchase a travel insurance Europe plan. While making the selection for a plan, you must not be swayed by plans that tempt you to buy cheap travel insurance for Europe. You must instead focus on selecting a travel insurance plan that offers you adequate coverage at a feasible rate, such as the ones we offer.
Why Do You Need Travel Insurance from India to Europe?
There are several potential events that may send your well-thought-out travel plans and arrangements for a spin, including sudden strife in the nation you are visiting, the unexpected imposition of an international travel restriction, or the cancellation or delay of your flight. Furthermore, you may end up facing a medical emergency during your journey, which may require treatment and, in severe cases, hospitalisation.
In order to ensure that you have sufficient financial protection against a host of unanticipated circumstances during your travels, you must select a suitable travel insurance plan. Whilst purchasing a Europe travel insurance plan, you must select one that includes comprehensive coverage for any medical and accidental expenses, a cover for the loss or delay of baggage at airports, a local assistance cover, and a health insurance cover.
At Tata AIG, we offer excellent travel insurance plans for Europe, which are easy on your wallet, and comprise a cover for Covid-19 along with sufficient coverage for your trip. What is more, is that these plans are flexible, and you can choose the extent of the coverage in line with your travel insurance requirements and budget.
Here are some of the benefits offered by the Tata AIG travel insurance Europe plan
With the Tata AIG Europe travel insurance plans, you get extensive coverage for your Euro trip, including the following covers:
You need not worry should your baggage be delayed or lost at one of the airports you pass through during your journey. With the Tata AIG travel insurance for Europe, you can benefit from a baggage cover and get reimbursement for your lost or delayed checked-in baggage.
Our travel insurance Europe plans provide extensive coverage for your journey, including a cover for the delay or cancellation of your flights, loss of passport, and the cancellation of hotel bookings.
With the Tata AIG travel health insurance for Europe, you get financial assistance in the event of any medical emergencies or accidents. If you fall ill during your trip to and from Europe or your stay there, our travel health insurance plan for Europe has got you covered. This plan includes a cover for Covid-19 related medical expenses.
In the unfortunate circumstance of you being hospitalised in Europe, you do not have to worry about your Europe travel insurance plan expiring since we offer 60-day automatic extensions of the plan in such scenarios.
- Europe travel insurance, starting at ₹40.82 per day, providing you significant coverage at a feasible rate.
- Swift purchase of your travel insurance plan for Europe on our website without the need to undergo a comprehensive medical check-up.
- The option to pay your plan premium in Indian National Rupees and get travel insurance coverage in United States Dollars.
Europe Visa and Entry Information
Visa Information For Europe
Most of the countries in Europe fall under the Schengen Area, which is a free-travel zone in Europe. Comprising 26 nations from the European Union, the Schengen Area has its own set of visa norms for people who are not citizens of any of the member countries.
Therefore, it is important to understand what types of Schengen Visas are available for Indian nationals and how you can apply for those. There are two main categories of Schengen Visas, namely a Uniform Schengen Visa and a National Schengen Visa.
Uniform Schengen Visa
If your intended stay in Europe is less than 90 days, you can apply for a Uniform Schengen Visa. There are two subcategories of this visa, namely:
- Type A Schengen Visa for transit through any airport in the Schengen Area (valid for a period not exceeding 24 hours)
- Type C Schengen Visa for a short-term stay in a Schengen nation (valid for a stay of 90 days in the Schengen Area and for six months from the point of the first entry in the area, following the 90/180 rule). This visa is available in single-entry, double-entry, and multiple-entry variants.
National Schengen Visa or Type D Schengen Visa
If your visit to Europe is for an extended period for reasons such as the pursuit of an academic course, an employment opportunity, or permanent immigration to a country therein, you must apply for a National Schengen Visa. You can apply for a single-entry National Schengen Visa or a multiple-entry one.
There are specific Schengen Visas available based on the intended purpose of your stay in a Schengen Area nation. These visas have been listed below.
- Business Schengen Visa
- Student Schengen Visa
- Schengen Medical Visa
- Tourist Schengen Visa
- Schengen Visitor Visa
- Schengen Visa for Cultural, Sports, and Religious Events and Film Crews
- Schengen Visa for Official Visits
- Transit Schengen Visa
A Schengen Visa costs* ₹7,088 for Indian citizens above the age of 18 years and ₹5,316 for children between the ages of 6 and 12 years. Schengen Visas for Indian children below the age of 6 years attract no visa fee.
The applicable Schengen Visa fee is in accordance with the current exchange rate between the Indian National Rupee and the Euro and is subject to change with a change in the said exchange rate.
Documents Required By Indian Nationals applying For a Schengen Visa
Here are the documents Indian nationals need to apply for a Schengen Visa.
- A printed copy of the visa application form duly filled and signed;
- Two recent passport-sized photographs containing a light background;
- An Indian passport valid for at least 3 months from your planned date of arrival in Europe and not older than 10 years;
- A travel insurance plan for Schengen Visa in India, comprising a medical cover in excess of €30,000 and covering medical evacuation and repatriation;
- Your flight itinerary to and from Europe;
- Proof of your planned accommodation during your trip to Europe;
- Proof of enough funds for the duration of your stay in Europe;
- A cover letter detailing your purpose for visiting Europe;
- Proof of your civil status, including your marriage certificate and the birth certificate of your children, if applicable.
Process of Application For Schengen Visa
Indian citizens planning to travel to Europe must apply for a Schengen Visa well in advance by following the steps mentioned below:
- Decide the type of Schengen Visa you wish to apply for, namely type A, C, or D Schengen Visa.
- Determine whether you need a single-entry visa or a multiple-entry entry, depending on the Schengen nation you wish to enter and exit Europe from as well as the Schengen nations you wish to visit with that visa.
- Find the details of the embassy or consulate where you need to apply for the selected visa type.
- Your application for a Schengen Visa must be filed at least fifteen days before your intended travel to Europe and not earlier than six months.
- Book an appointment with the relevant embassy or consulate for your Schengen Visa application interview. Check whether the Schengen nation/s you plan to visit allow for online visa applications.
- Visit the selected embassy or consulate at the scheduled time with all the necessary documents.
- Pay your Schengen Visa fees and wait for the results of your visa interview to be shared, which ideally takes a fortnight.
Along with your Schengen Visa, you must also apply for a suitable Europe travel insurance plan to ensure a financially secured trip.
Entry Information For Indian citizens Travelling to Europe
All Indian nationals intending to travel to Europe must keep certain entry restrictions in mind. Here are the major entry and documentary requirements for Europe that you must adhere to:
- A valid Indian passport that is not older than 10 years and whose validity lasts at least three months from your date of entry in Europe;
- A valid Schengen Visa in accordance with your purpose of visiting Europe;
- Two passport-sized photographs;
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the expenses of your stay in Europe;
- Proof of enough funds to return to India or travel to a third state for which you have proof of admission;
- Compliance with the latest European Union transit rules;
- A travel health insurance plan for Europe, with a medical cover of at least €30,000, including a cover for medical evacuation and repatriation from Europe.
Covid-19 guidelines: Since different nations in Europe have varying Covid-19 related travel and entry restrictions in place, you must check the relevant rules for the countries you intend to visit in Europe and ensure compliance with the testing and quarantine requirements as applicable.
Travel Documents Required while Travelling from India to Europe
While planning for your Euro trip, you must be mindful of the different documents you are required to carry during your journey. Here is a list of these documents:
- An Indian passport valid for at least 3 months and not issued later than 10 years;
- A valid Schengen Visa;
- Travel medical insurance for Europe;
- Two recent passport-sized photographs;
- Documentary proof of having enough funds to finance your stay in and return from Europe;
- A cover letter, mentioning the purpose of your visit to Europe;
- Your travel documents and travel itinerary;
- Proof of your intended accommodation in Europe, including a copy of your hotel bookings or university admission letter, as applicable
Europe Travel: Safety and Precautionary Measures to be Undertaken
While in Europe, you must follow certain safety and precautionary measures at all times, including the following.
- Always keep your passport with you.
- Ensure the protection of your belongings, particularly when you are at crowded places and tourist hubs.
- Ensure that you do not stay in Europe beyond your permitted visa limit.
- Do not travel to unfamiliar or remote areas, especially during the night.
- Respect the laws and regulations of each European nation that you travel to.
- Use official commercial means of transport and do not take any private help.
- Do not participate in any unlawful activities or violate public decorum through verbal or non-verbal means.
- Select the best travel insurance plan for Europe to ensure that your trip has sufficient coverage against various untoward situations.
Covid-19 specific safety guidelines
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth, particularly while using public transport.
- Practise social distancing.
- Cooperate with the local government and designated authorities by following the applicable Covid-19 guidelines.
- Monitor yourself for Covid-19 symptoms and self-isolate and get tested if you develop any of the symptoms.
- If you purchase the best travel health insurance for Europe, you can take a proactive step towards having a safe and financially secured trip.
The Indian Embassies in Europe
There is an Indian embassy in all the major countries in Europe. Before travelling to Europe, you must check the Indian embassy particulars of the European nation/s you are planning to visit. Should you need any assistance during your journey, your nation's embassy should be your first point of contact.
International airports in Europe
There are several international airports in Europe, and here are some of the most frequented ones:
- Heathrow Airport, London, The United Kingdom;
- Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris, France;
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Amsterdam, the Netherlands;
- Berlin Tegel Airport, Berlin, Germany;
- Istanbul Airport, Istanbul, Turkey.
Currency and Foreign Exchange
The currency of most of the countries in Europe is the Euro (€). It is the official currency of 19 of the 27 countries that are members of the European Union. It is important to note here that the exchange rate between the Euro (€) and the Indian National Rupee (₹) keeps fluctuating on a daily basis. Therefore, you must make a note of the prevailing exchange rate before your trip to Europe.
Furthermore, if you are travelling to a European nation that has its own currency, you must monitor the relevant exchange rate before you travel there. Remember to carry a sufficient amount of the aforementioned currency during your trip.
Europe Tourist Places
Adorned with a rich history, and having witnessed the reigns of some of the most renowned monarchs in history, Europe has no dearth of awe-inspiring historical landmarks and tourist places. Whether it is architectural marvels reminiscent of ages past, such as the Colosseum in Rome and the Parthenon in Greece or modern global landmarks such as the London Eye and the Millennium Bridge in London, Europe has plenty of picturesque tourist sites. Here are some of the places that must be on your Euro trip itinerary.
Empires have risen and fallen, but the eternal city of Rome has stood its ground through many turbulent phases in history. Any trip to Europe must have the Italian capital of Rome in the itinerary. With the historic Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, and the neighbouring Vatican City, Rome is home to some of the most recognised landmarks in the world. Rome is also famous for its fountains, open plazas, authentic Italian delicacies, and quaint cafés.
Situated on the scenic banks of the Seine, Paris is one of the most breathtaking cities in the world. Ancient cathedrals, museums, libraries, and palaces line the iconic streets of the French capital. Famous for its cosmopolitan culture and warmth, the city of light has several tourist spots, including the Eiffel Tower, the Palace of Versailles, and the Bibliotheque Nationale.
The Turkish capital of Istanbul is a marvel of the ancient and the modern world alike. Adorned with the influences of different cultures, Istanbul is renowned for monuments such as the Aya Sofya and the Topkapi Palace. The city is famous for its multicultural cuisine and hospitality. When in the Old Town of Istanbul, it is easy to forget that you are in a twenty-first-century modern cosmopolis. Such is the time-defying charm and warmth of this city that proudly sits on the border of two continents.
The city of Athens has kept the relics of the ancient Greek civilisation alive, and every visitor to this iconic city can experience history preserved in a crystal ball. With its cobblestone streets effortlessly transporting you to a world that was much simpler yet none the poorer with regard to culture and the arts, the Greek capital is sure to leave an indelible impression on anyone's mind. When in Athens, you must visit the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and the ancient Greek temples. With its lively nightlife, the city strikes a delicate yet charming balance between the ancient and the modern.
London, The United Kingdom
Having been the epicentre of some of history's greatest battles and developments, the city of London has gone through drastic transformations during its time on earth. When in London, you must visit the medieval cathedrals and museums, eat at the small cafés, and walk by the banks of the Thames. The city has tourist destinations galore, including Big Ben, the Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, the Millennium Bridge, the London Eye, etc. The other cities that you can consider visiting in Europe are Florence, Seville, Venice, Prague, Budapest, Barcelona, Dublin, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Reykjavik.
Best Time to Visit Europe
The best time to visit Europe is from June to September when it is summer in the continent. During these months, the temperatures in most European cities hover below 18 degrees Celsius, making it an ideal time to visit the continent's beaches and mountains alike.
During the summer months, there are several cultural festivals in various countries of Europe which witness a high amount of tourist footfall. September to November is also a good time to visit Europe since these are the months of fall and have temperatures between 7 and 14 degrees Celsius.
Plan your trip to Europe today and secure your international journey by selecting a travel insurance Europe plan from TATA AIG Insurance. With our excellent range of international travel insurance plans, you can opt for the best travel insurance for Europe, starting at just ₹40.82 per day.
You can check out our Europe travel insurance plans here. Visit our website to know more about the best travel insurance for Europe from India.
All the information mentioned above is well-researched and sourced from reliable sources. Since this information is subject to change*, it is advisable to check the latest travel guidelines and other location-specific information before planning a trip to any location.
*Subject to change based on the destination, and nature and extent of the coverage.
Frequently Asked Question
How can I get a travel insurance Europe plan?
You can buy travel insurance for Europe by visiting our website and selecting international travel insurance under the products section. Enter the necessary personal information and select the coverage you want on the following page. There is an option to add some additional covers to your Europe travel insurance plan, including:
- A Medical cover
- A Baggage cover
After selecting the coverage for your Europe travel insurance plan, you can complete the policy purchase by making the payment online. You will instantly get the policy document in your email inbox.
How much should I pay for a travel insurance Europe plan?
The cost of your travel insurance plan for Europe depends on various factors, including the sum assured you opt for and the nation you are buying travel insurance coverage for. If your visit to Europe includes your family, it is advisable to choose a high sum assured for your travel insurance Europe plan so as to have sufficient insurance coverage for all the members of the travelling party. You can buy Tata AIG travel insurance for Europe, starting at just ₹40.82 per day.
Is it mandatory to buy a medical travel insurance Europe plan?
Yes, it is mandatory to buy medical travel insurance for Europe as it is one of the conditions for applying for a Schengen Visa and entering Europe. Therefore, you must select a suitable medical travel insurance Europe plan and ensure that your Euro trip is financially safeguarded against a variety of potential adverse events.
By opting for the Tata AIG Europe travel insurance plan, you can have access to extensive travel insurance coverage at a feasible price. Check out our travel insurance plans for Europe now and secure your trip to Europe in a few quick and easy steps.