Travel Insurance For Thailand From India
Travel Insurance for Thailand
Thailand is a wonderful holiday destination if pristine beaches, magnificent palaces, beautiful temples and enthralling nightlife entice you. But to make your Thailand travel a success, what you need is a Tata AIG Thailand travel insurance plan.
There are many reasons why Thailand is so popular; apart from the affordable travel and accommodation, the convenience of procuring a Thailand visa and the joy of shopping at fun markets and malls will make Thailand your next holiday destination!
And who can forget Bangkok when visiting Thailand? While the shopping centres and the vibrant nightlife in this lively city are the talks of the town, Bangkok is equally famous for its historical sites and pristine temples such as Wat Arun Ratchawararam (Temple of Dawn), Wat Benchamabophit (The Marble Temple), Wat Saket Ratchaworamahawihan (Phu Khao Thong) and more!
And to ensure that you can make the most of your Thailand travel, Tata AIG offers a flexible Thailand travel policy to cover you against a host of unanticipated emergencies and situations. With Tata AIG, your insurance for Thailand travel can start at affordable premiums while you enjoy your time in Thailand without a care in the world!
Major benefits of buying a travel insurance Thailand plan:
- Cover for COVID-19 if you are infected & hospitalized during your trip
- Loss or delay of complete checked-in luggage
- Personal liability coverage
- Local assistance throughout the trip
- Hijack cover
- Cover for accidents or medical emergencies of up to $5,00,000
- Affordable travel insurance for Thailand from India with Tata AIG, starting at just ₹45.50 per day*.
- Automatic extension of 7 days on the travel insurance plan if a lockdown in the destination country closes down any alternative mode of transport
- Automatic extension of your travel insurance for Thailand plan for upto 60 days or date of discharge whichever is lesser in the event of hospitalization close to the expiry date of the plan
- Don’t carry an extra baggage of worries when you’re going out for a trip. From lost belongings to emergency medical care, you can leave all your concerns to us and enjoy your vacation as you imagined it.
Travel Insurance for Thailand from India
While it is exciting to take a trip to Thailand, you have to be sure that your holiday is well planned. Other than thinking about personal luggage and your itinerary, you also need to start applying for a Thailand visa, pay attention to the immigration rules and the country’s laws and also make a note of all other legal requirements. For an international trip, you need to take better precautions than for a domestic tour and so, you must have a fitting travel insurance plan that can help you get adequate coverage throughout your holiday!
When planning your trip to Thailand from India, consider all options for insurance for Thailand travel, as you need a comprehensive plan that can protect you against a variety of situations. Such a travel insurance plan needs to be able to accommodate emergency situations like loss of baggage, a COVID-19 cover, medical assistance, delay or cancellation of your flight and more! And to choose a suitable travel insurance plan like this, you can simply compare travel insurance plans on Tata AIG’s official website so that you find the right type of plan and sufficient coverage for any emergency.
We offer travel insurance plans for Thailand that you can choose and buy in a quick and hassle-free manner with us. You can customize your travel insurance coverage as per your needs and enjoy the benefits of the plan throughout the duration of your holiday. To understand how Travel Insurance Premium is defined, check our travel insurance premium calculator, this will help you pick the right plan for your needs.
Why Do You Need Travel Insurance from India to Thailand?
Here are some of the benefits offered by the Tata AIG travel insurance Thailand plan
● Baggage Cover - In case your luggage or baggage is lost or delayed at the airport checkpoint during the trip, the baggage cover in our travel insurance plan will reimburse the cost of the items in the lost baggage.
● Journey Cover - Our travel insurance for Thailand cost includes coverage for your lost passport, delayed or canceled flights, or even the cancellation of your hotel reservation in case of an emergency on your journey.
● Medical Cover - The Tata AIG travel health insurance for Thailand can offer you the necessary coverage in case of any sickness and accidents that can have you hospitalised during your travels. If you meet with an accident or fall sick during your trip, our medical cover will protect you. Moreover, the policy also has a COVID-19 cover that will take care of COVID-19 related medical expenses. And if you cannot travel back to India, we will grant an automatic extension of 60 days on your plan.
● Other Benefits
❖ Travel Insurance for Thailand, starting at a convenient rate of ₹45.50 per day*
❖ Instant purchase of your travel insurance plan for Thailand on the Tata AIG website with no need for a detailed medical check-up
❖ You can pay your travel insurance premiums in INR and receive coverage in US dollars
Thailand Visa and Entry Information
Visa Information for Thailand
When you travel to Thailand from India, you will have to apply for a visa to enter the country. As an Indian national, you can apply for a visa at the Thai Embassy or at the Thai Consulate in India. However, do remember that it is very important to submit all the relevant and accurate details to ensure a smooth and swift visa application process!
Though Thailand is mainly a tourist spot, a lot of foreign nationals visit the country for various purposes. And so, here are the different types of visas available for entering the country –
● One-year Non-Immigrant Visa:
The non-immigrant visa is generally a multiple-entry visa that has a validity of one year. However, for every entry, this visa needs an extension after every 90 days. Hence, you will need to visit the immigration centre at the border or the nearest city where you can get the visa stamped. This is called a visa run.
● Tourist Visa :
The Thai tourist visa is a 60-day visa that can be extended for another 30 days through a visa run if necessary. Here, the visa will be converted to a non-immigrant visa. You can opt for a multiple-entry visa or a single-entry visa depending on the nature of your travels.
● Thai Elite Visa :
The Thai Elite Visa is a long-term visa that comes under Privilege Entry Visa and carries a few special benefits. With this multiple-entry visa, you can pay a membership fee and stay in Thailand for 5-20 years, with a renewal every 5 years with a 1-year extension for each stay.
● Non-Immigrant Visa :
This single-entry visa to Thailand is valid for 90 days. However, if needed, you can extend this visa through a visa run from the nearest city. With a non-immigrant visa, you can open a bank account and also obtain a work permit. Do remember to submit your application in the correct health insurance format.
● Business Visa :
If you are visiting Thailand for your work, you should have a business visa that enables you to carry out your business legally. The business visa is also called a non-immigrant business visa and you can open a bank account and also obtain a work permit. A visa run is necessary for extending this type of visa.
● Permanent Resident Visa :
If you have stayed in the country for at least 3 consecutive years, with an extended one-year visa, you can qualify for this visa. You can also apply for this visa if you’re married to a Thai national for 5 years and are earning 30,000 Baht/month or are single and earning 80,000 Baht/month. You will need to submit three years of your personal tax statements.
● Marriage Visa and Retirement Visa :
These two visa types are issued to those who meet the special financial requirements for the application. The marriage visa is issued to those married to Thai nationals. A non-immigrant visa can be converted into a marriage visa or retirement visa and you need not get a visa run every 90 days.
Process of Application for a Thailand Visa
To avail yourself of a valid Thailand visa, you will need to follow the application process carefully and submit the duly filled form and the relevant documents. There is also no non-refundable visa application processing fee of 1000 Baht per entry that you should know about.
Depending on the eligibility, your requirements and the application, your visa will either be rejected or accepted. Hence, always be careful while providing the information on your visa application. Here is the process that will help you know more about the Thailand visa application. You can either get in touch with VFS Global and Cox & Kings, the two agencies recognised by the Thai Embassy in India or download the application form and hand it over to the Embassy or the Consulate with the supporting documents. In a span of 3 days, your visa will be either approved or rejected.
For applying for a Thailand visa offline :
Visit any one of the recognised Thailand Visa Application Centres. Or you can download the form and submit it at their centre along with the supporting documents and your photograph.
For applying for a Thailand visa online:
- Visit the website of any of the recognised Thailand Visa Application Centres.
- Fill the form and submit it along with the relevant documents and your photograph.
- After submitting the form, you can select a Thailand Embassy and Consulate, depending on your location in India.
- The Royal Thai Embassy is based out of New Delhi while the Royal Thai Consulate Generals are in Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai.
Visa on Arrival for Travel to Thailand from India
If you are travelling to Thailand for a period of 30 days or less for tourism, you don’t need to apply for a visa before reaching there. In that case, you are eligible for a visa on arrival and will only have to visit the immigration office at the airport, hand over the relevant documents and proof of your return to get the visa.
Documents Required by Indian Nationals Applying for a Thailand Visa
As an Indian national, these are the documents you will need when applying for a Thailand visa –
●Application form– Complete and submit the duly filled application form as per the directives by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).
●Photograph– A 4x6 cm-passport-size photograph of you should be attached to the application.
●Passport– Your passport with at least 2 blank pages and 6 months of validity will have to be submitted. In case you do not have a passport, you may submit any valid MFA recognised travel document.
●Proof of funds– By submitting the proof of funds, you indicate that you can bear the cost of your trip and accommodation in Thailand.
●Proof of stay– Depending on the type of visa you apply for, you may also have to submit proof of stay or accommodation.
●Proof of income– If needed, you may have to submit your bank statement for the last 6 months.
●Tickets– You will have to also show a copy of your confirmed return flight ticket. But depending on the category of your visa, you may only have to mention the intended date of departure.
●Extra documents– Certain categories of visa applications need an extra set of documents such as approvals, cover letters, etc.
Entry Information for Indian Citizens Travelling to Thailand
Indian citizens travelling to Thailand should be aware of the travel documents that they need to be carrying to Thailand.
- Your Thailand Pass.
- The valid visa in your passport.
- Medical Certificate and negative COVID-19 lab result. The test must be carried out by the RT-PCR method, within 72 hours before departure.
- Printout of the COVID 19 travel insurance certificate and pages of the COVID-19 coverage and medical benefits and their terms and conditions.
- A copy of the confirmed Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) Hotel or SHA+ Hotel booking.
- Copy of confirmed flight reservation.
- Your COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate with both vaccines.
COVID-19 guidelines: Travellers coming to Thailand on or after November 1 are required to apply for Thailand Pass. Fully vaccinated travellers can enter Thailand without quarantine through the No Quarantine Program for Listed Countries, Phuket Sandbox and Samui Sandbox Program for Non-listed Countries.
Travel Documents Required While Travelling from India to Thailand
When you travel to Thailand from India for any purpose, whatsoever, here is a list of travel documents that you must have with you –
- Your valid passport, with at least 6 months of validity and the application form.
- Two colour photos - 35mm x 45mm – less than 3 months old, taken against a white background.
- A cover letter with details of the sponsor of the trip and their contact details.
- The airline ticket with a departure date of after 5 working days of the Embassy.
- Proof of hotel accommodation with names of the travellers.
- Proof of accommodation if the traveller is staying with relatives/friends. An invitation letter along with a copy of their ID or passport is a must. If they are not Thai nationals, then proof of their occupation record in Thailand is needed.
- A copy of the credit card with the original credit card statements from the last 6 months.
- Bank statements of last 6 months with the bank seal and at least ₹20,000 for each traveller.
Thailand Travel: Safety and Precautionary Measures to Be Undertaken
Thailand, being an amazing holiday destination, has a lot to offer to tourists and foreign visitors in terms of hospitality. However, it is important to follow some safety and precautionary measures while travelling to the country –
- Keep your passport and money in a secure pocket of your clothing.
- Carry a copy of your passport just in case you need to report the loss of the original passport at the nearest police station along with its English copy.
- Move carefully in crowded markets and public transport to avoid being a victim of pick-pocketing.
- Do not leave any of your belongings or food/drink unattended.
- Ignore claims, unsolicited advice and offers from unknown brokers.
- Be careful while renting speedboats in Pattaya since the owners could charge you unfairly for the smallest damage.
- When buying duty-free items at the airport, do not put the items in your bag until the payment is complete or take the things outside the shop before paying.
Covid-19 specific safety guidelines
These are the following COVID-19 guidelines you will need to follow in Thailand:
- Always wear a mask that completely covers your nose and mouth, especially in crowded places.
- As far as possible, maintain a social distance of at least 2 feet from everyone.
- Follow all the applicable COVID-19 guidelines laid down by the government and authorities.
- Keep an eye out for any telling signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and ensure that you isolate yourself and get a test done immediately.
- With a perfect travel insurance plan for Thailand, you can be covered for any COVID-19 emergencies and avoid the hassle of spending your holiday money!
The Indian Embassy in Thailand
The Indian Embassy in Thailand is located at the following address in Bangkok:
Address: Embassy of India, 46, Prasarnmitr, Sukhumvit, Soi 23, Bangkok – 10110
Present Ambassador: Ambassador Suchitra Durai
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Embassy of India, Bangkok - Thailand
- Telephone number: 02-2580300-6
- Emergency Consular Services number:
- Fax number: 02-2584627 / 2621740
- Working hours: 0830-1300 hours and 1330-1700 hours (Monday to Friday)
International Airports in Thailand
Thailand has seven international airports which are located in:
- Chiang Mai
- Hat Yai
- Chiang Rai
Currency and Foreign Exchange
In Thailand, Baht (฿) is the official currency and is issued by the Bank of Thailand. If you’re travelling to Thailand, most of the payments you make will be carried out in Baht and the exchange from Indian Rupees (₹) will vary on a regular basis. Depending on when you are travelling to Thailand from India, keep an eye on the exchange rates and ensure that you have enough funds in their currency.
Thailand Tourist Places
There are several places in Thailand worth checking out; but out of these, here are some places that you must visit on your Thailand trip –
● Khao Yai National Park
Thailand’s impressive wildlife reserve is not very far from Bangkok and is a dense haven that is home to monkeys, gibbons, bats, hornbills and some wild Thai tigers as well. If you are out to explore the wonders of Nature, this is where you should be on your visit to the country.
Kanchanaburi is popular for the beautiful bridge over the River Kwai. However, if you visit this place, do not miss the floating guesthouses on the river or the opulent monasteries. You can also spend some time at the WWII cemeteries or head out to Sai Yok National Park.
It is true that the nightlife of Bangkok is the highlight of your list but the city is actually even more renowned for its magnificent temples. You can explore the beautifully constructed Wat Pho and other temples on Ko Ratanakosin or also enjoy the street food on Bangkok streets in the evening.
If climbing is your favourite sport, you cannot miss Railay’s sea cliffs which top the list of sea cliffs for climbers. This place is also well-known for its beautiful white beaches, affordable beach hut stays and exciting jungle trials. Railey is one of those places in Thailand that will take your breath away!
Best Time to Visit Thailand
It is best to visit Thailand when the weather is cool and dry. Between November and early April, the temperatures are anywhere between 20 degrees to 34 degrees which make for a very pleasant trip.
Some people also prefer travelling in the month of September when there are fewer tourists and the flights and accommodation are quite affordable. However, there is also a chance that you may not be able to take a look at some tourist spots which are open to the public during the peak seasons only.
The month of December is also a great time to travel to Thailand, considering that it is the time for festivals like the River Kwai Bridge Festival and Red Cross Fair in Kanchanaburi or the Concert in the Park in Bangkok from mid-December to February.
When travelling to Thailand, always ensure that you select the most suitable Tata AIG travel insurance plan that covers crucial emergencies when you are enjoying your holiday abroad!
Frequently Asked Question
How can I get insurance for Thailand travel?
To buy a travel policy for Thailand, visit the Tata AIG website and go to the Products section. Choose international travel insurance and proceed to fill in your details. Select how much coverage you need under the plan and you can add any of the extra covers listed below –
- Medical coverage
- Baggage coverage
- Journey coverage
You can then make the online payment for your Thailand travel insurance plan and once the purchase is complete, the policy will be sent to your email ID.
How much should I pay for a travel insurance Thailand plan?
While deciding on how much you should pay for your Thailand travel insurance cover, consider certain factors such as the sum assured of your plan and the duration of your trip. The coverage should be adequate for your entire trip.
In case you are travelling with your family, then be sure to choose a Tata AIG Thailand travel insurance plan that offers you sufficient coverage for reasonable prices. With our travel insurance premium calculator, you can calculate and choose the amount of coverage you need so that your trip can be a peaceful one!
Is it mandatory to buy a medical travel insurance Thailand plan?
Yes, it is mandatory to have a medical travel insurance plan for Thailand as the Thai Government needs foreigners travelling to the country to be covered under a medical travel insurance policy. When you reach Thailand, the cover will be immediately effective and you can avail of the benefits.
When selecting a travel insurance plan for Thailand, be sure to get adequate overall coverage so that any medical emergencies on the trip can be easily handled. With a Tata AIG Thailand travel insurance plan, you can get suitable coverage based on your needs with premiums starting at ₹45.50 per day*. Take a look at our Tata AIG travel plans today to find the right coverage for your Thailand trip!
*Subject to change based on the nature, extent and duration of the travel insurance policy.