Lithuania travel insurance
Travel Insurance Lithuania
A small dot on the globe, Lithuania is a small country with thousands of years of history and rich heritage. It is located right in the heart of Europe – the geographical centre of Europe is found in Lithuania. It is Europe’s last country to be Christianised and still has traces of pagan history and culture. A land filled with lakes and forests and farmlands, Lithuania has evolved into a popular tourist destination for people from around the world.
If you are planning a trip to Lithuania, it is advisable to purchase travel insurance for Lithuania to ensure that your trip is financially safeguarded.
The major benefits of having a TATA AIG Travel Insurance Lithuania plan are as follows.
- Baggage loss or delay cover
- Medical insurance including Travel Health Insurance Lithuania
- Accident and sickness cover
- Flight cancellation insurance and hotel bookings cancellation cover
- Travel assistance
- Hijack cover
- Local assistance
- Personal liability cover
- Cover for emergency medical treatment, supplies, and transportation if needed
- In case of a delay or cancellation of your flight back home, the policy offers an automatic extension of the Travel Insurance Lithuania plan for seven days
Travel Insurance for Lithuania from India
Lithuania is nestled between the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad, Poland, Latvia, and Belarus. It has a strong infrastructure with well-maintained highways and a well-networked railway system. It is a small country – a little smaller than the state of Assam in area. However, it offers a range of options to tourists to explore this country steeped in history and touched by modernism.
Traveling to Lithuania requires research and an understanding of the local laws and culture. You should also ensure that you understand all the Lithuania travel requirements. Among other things, make sure that you consider buying a travel insurance plan for Lithuania.
Even a well-planned trip can be exposed to unexpected disruptions due to natural or man-made disasters or various other reasons. Hence, it is prudent to prepare yourself to ensure that you are financially protected if any such unexpected emergency strikes. A Travel Insurance Lithuania policy can help you create a financial safety net in such situations.
Why Do You Need Travel Insurance from India to Lithuania
Usually, a trip to a country like Lithuania is filled with lots of activity. Travelers tend to explore the length and breadth of the country and take various short trips and indulge in different activities. This exposes them to many risks like accidents, loss of baggage or passport, etc. While such incidents can disrupt the travel plan, they can also dent their finances. Therefore, it is important to plan any international trip carefully by keeping the possibility of such incidents in mind.
Lithuania, being a Schengen country, has a mandatory requirement for a health insurance policy to get visa. If you are planning to travel to Lithuania from India, then you will have to buy a health insurance policy for Lithuania to enter the country. These plans offer coverage only for medical emergencies. However, when you opt for Travel Insurance Lithuania, you get coverage for medical and non-medical emergencies. These plans can offer coverage to your co-travelers too.
Imagine landing in a foreign country and the airline informing you that your baggage is delayed or lost. You can be stranded in a foreign land with no personal belongings. When you opt for a Travel Insurance Lithuania plan by Tata AIG, you can get coverage for such situations and ensure that you are financially protected.
Here are some of the benefits offered by the Tata AIG Travel Insurance Lithuania plan.
Non-medical Trip Cover
The Travel Insurance Lithuania plan offers coverage for flight cancellations, the cancellation of hotel bookings, and the loss of a passport during your trip.
*Delay/Loss of Baggage Cover *
Delay or loss of checked-in baggage is a common occurrence on international trips. The Tata AIG Travel Insurance Lithuania plan reimburses the approved expenses during such incidents.
The plan offers coverage for any illness or injury due to an accident during your stay in Lithuania. Travelers can also receive financial assistance if they test positive for the Covid-19 virus during the trip.
- Comprehensive coverage at affordable premium rates
- A simple and hassle-free buying process without the need for a comprehensive medical check-up
- Payment of the premium in INR and coverage in USD
Lithuania Visa and Entry Information
Visa Information for Lithuania
Indian nationals planning to visit the central European nation of Lithuania can apply for the following categories of visas.
1. Schengen Visa
For short visits, Lithuania offers two types of Schengen visas:
Airport Transfer Visa (A) This is applicable to travelers who are transiting through the international transit areas of one or more members of the member states of the Schengen area. So, if you are not planning to tour the country but are having a short stop-over in Lithuania, then you can opt for this visa.
Short-stay Visa (C) If you are planning to travel to Lithuania from India as a tourist, then you need to apply for a Short-stay Visa provided the duration of your trip is not more than 90 days in a 180-day period. This visa is also applicable to Indian travelers going to meet their family and friends in Lithuania. The Schengen Visa carries a fee of €80.
2. National Visa
For longer visits of more than 91 days, Lithuania offers a National visa. The visa specifies the period for which the foreigner can stay in the country provided it does not exceed 12 months.
Unlike many other countries, Lithuania does not offer different visas for students or business travelers. The visas are categorized based on the period you plan to stay in the country. Hence, students applying for a course of more than three months will have to apply for a National Visa.
Entry Information for Indian citizens travelling to Lithuania
Here is some essential entry information if you are planning to travel to Lithuania from India:
- A valid Indian passport that has not been issued more than 10 years ago and is valid for a minimum of three months from your date of arrival in Lithuania
- Passport-sized photographs (two)
- A valid Lithuania Visa
- A proof of eligibility to enter Lithuania upon arrival like a Residence Permit, Employment Certificate, or University Certificate proving your enrolment in a Lithuanian university
- Proof of sufficient funds for your stay in Lithuania
- Compliance with the prevailing European Union transit rules
- A return ticket, if applicable
Covid-19 guidelines for traveling to Lithuania:
Lithuania ended all Covid-19-related restrictions from May 01, 2022. All travelers are now allowed to enter the country regardless of their vaccination status. While earlier travelers were required to complete a National Public Health Centre questionnaire, the same is no longer applicable. Covid-19 testing is not mandatory and is based on any individual displaying symptoms of the virus.
Travel Documents Required when you Travel to Lithuania from India
If you are traveling to Lithuania, you must remember to carry the following travel and identification documents with you.
- A valid Indian passport that has not been issued more than 10 years ago and is valid for a minimum of three months from your date of arrival in Lithuania
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- A valid Schengen Visa
- A copy of the data page of your passport
- A valid Travel Insurance policy
- A cover letter comprising the itinerary of the trip
- Travel documents, including flight and railway tickets as applicable
- A proof of your intended accommodation in Lithuania
- Evidence of your present financial status, including payslips, proof of income, bank statements, and Income Tax Return.
- Employment Letter from your employer, if applicable
- No-objection certificate from your university, if applicable
- Proof of your civil status, including a marriage certificate, death certificate of spouse, or birth certificate of children
Covid-19 specific travel documents for Lithuania:
You are not required to carry any Covid-19 specific documents while traveling to Lithuania. However, it will be prudent to carry your vaccination certificate with you.
Lithuania Travel: Safety and Precautionary Measures to be Undertaken
- Keep your belongings and documents, including your passport, safe at all times.
- Due to the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict, Lithuania has been taking measures to keep its citizens safe. Make sure that you follow all the instructions of authorities and carry a photo-identification proof with you at all times.
- Use government transport as far as possible. Keep your car locked even when you are driving.
- Beware of pickpockets while using public transport services, bars, and restaurants
- Be aware of and respect the country’s laws and regulations.
- Make sure that you leave the country on or before the date of expiry of your visa
- Avoid participating in any illegal activities
- Understand the culture of the country and ensure that you maintain public decorum
- Avoid traveling to unfamiliar or remote areas, particularly during the night.
- Make sure that you purchase a comprehensive Travel Insurance Lithuania policy to safeguard against any untoward incidents
Covid-19 specific safety guidelines:
Lithuania has lifted all Covid-related restrictions. However, there are still active Covid cases in the country. Hence, it is advisable to wear a mask in crowded places, practice social distancing as far as possible, and get yourself tested if you have any symptoms. Make sure that you have the best travel health insurance Lithuania during your travel.
The Indian Embassy in Lithuania
The Indian Embassy in Lithuania is located at the following address in the capital city of Vilnius. The Indian Honorary Consulate, Odminiu g. 11, Vilnius 01122, Lithuania
Honorary Consul: Mr. Rajendra Kumar Chaudhary
Contact details of the Embassy:
Telephone number: (+370) 616 77 060, (+370) 526 29 147 / 600 277 88
Fax number: (+370) 526 29 147
Working hours: By appointment only
International airports in Lithuania
Here are the major international airports in Lithuania, listed in order of their average international traffic.
- Vilnius International Airport
- Kaunas International Airport
- Palanga International Airport
Currency and Foreign Exchange
While the currency of Lithuania was the Litas, it was replaced by the Euro in 2015. Today, Euro is the official currency of Lithuania along with 18 other nations of the European Union. When you decide to travel to Lithuania from India, make sure that keep an eye on the exchange rate between the INR and the Euro as it fluctuates every day. Make sure that you carry Euros as permitted by the law with you to make immediate expenses easy.
Lithuania Tourist Places
Lithuania is located at the southern end of Europe’s Baltic Sea and features on the ‘must-visit’ list of most European travelers. It has a rich and varied history and still has traces of pagan culture embedded in its architecture and way of life. The country also has some mesmerizing landscapes and lakes that have fascinated tourists for many years. If you are planning to visit Lithuania, the following places must be on your bucket list.
1. Trakai Island Castle
This is an island castle located on an island in Lake Galve in Trakai, Lithuania. Famous for its gothic architecture and unique location, the castle looks right from a fairy tale. During winter, the lake freezes and becomes a natural skating rink. During the warmer months, you can take a yacht ride and enjoy the magnificent view of the castle from the lake. It was built in the 14th Century and was the residence of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania. Located at a distance of around 27km from the capital city of Vilnius, the castle is open from Monday to Sunday (10 am to 7 pm) during summers and from Tuesday to Sunday (10 am to 5 pm) during winters.
2. Hill of Crosses
Located in Northern Lithuania, the Hill of Crosses is a Christian pilgrimage site with more than 2 lakh wooden crosses erected on a small hill in Jurgaičiai. It is one of the most spectacular sights with a history dating back to 1831 when it is believed that during the uprising against Russia, relatives with no bodies to bury constructed crucifixes and crosses on the hill. Pilgrims visit this hill every year to pray for miracles.
3. Gates of Dawn
While the Gates of Dawn is now associated with prayers, historically, these were part of the Vilnius city’s defensive wall. There used to be ten gates for defending Vilnius. Of these, the Gates of Dawn are the only ones to survive. Today, the Gates of Dawn house the miraculous painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of Mercy. It was painted specifically for the Gates of Dawn and is worshipped by Greek Orthodox, Catholics, and Russian Orthodox.
4. The Republic of Užupis
Užupis is one of the smallest republics in the world spread across an area of 1 square km. It is an eclectic town with Soviet Bloc architecture that is separated from the rest of Vilnius by the Vilnele river. Numerous street murals, the mesmerizing sculpture of a mermaid, artist studios, and some hip cafes and eateries.
*5. Curonian Spit National Park *
The Curonian Spit National Park, also known as the Kuršių Nerija National Park protects the unique ecosystems of the Curonian Lagoon and Curonian Spit. It is a place for the habitat of rare plants, four villages, and two old cemeteries. Human activity is prohibited in the park except for scientific observation.
Best Time to Visit Lithuania
Lithuania experiences harsh winters. This makes late spring or summer the best time to visit this beautiful nation. Summers are usually dry with a few very hot days. However, this is an unpredictable season and you can expect showers and chilly nights too. September onwards, the temperature can start dipping. Autumn is also a beautiful time to visit Lithuania with green pines and golden-brown deciduous leaves. Lithuania usually receives its first snowfall in November and winter sets in by December. The next few months can be very cold with temperatures dropping to minus 15-20 degrees. However, snow can transform the country into a fairyland.
If you are planning a trip to Lithuania, then make sure that you plan your trip carefully. While it is a small country, there is a lot that you can do during your trip. Hence, create an itinerary based on the places that interest you after factoring in the weather and the people you are traveling with. Also, make sure that you calculate India to Lithuania travel costs and include the cost of buying a comprehensive Travel Insurance Lithuania policy. At Tata AIG, we offer one of the best travel insurance Lithuania policies to help you tour the country without worrying about managing exigencies
All the information mentioned above is well-researched and sourced from reliable sources. Since this information is subject to change, it is advisable to check the latest travel guidelines and other location-specific information before planning a trip to any location.
*Subject to change based on the nature and extent of the coverage.
Frequently Asked Question
How can I get a travel insurance Lithuania plan?
You can purchase Travel Insurance Lithuania from Tata AIG by following these steps:
- Visit our official website;
- Select international travel insurance under the products section;
- Provide your personal details and choose the kind of coverage you need;
- Select the features like baggage insurance, flight cancellation insurance, etc.;
- Make the payment and receive the policy documents at your registered email address.
How much should I pay for a travel insurance Lithuania plan?
The premium of the travel insurance Lithuania policy depends on a range of factors including the sum assured and your duration of stay in the country. Before you leave, make sure that you choose the right sum assured and features that are in sync with your travel plans.
Is it mandatory to buy a medical travel insurance Lithuania plan?
Lithuania is a part of the Schengen area. Hence, all rules applicable to Schengen visas apply to your trip to Lithuania too including the mandatory health insurance requirement. You need to mandatorily have a health insurance policy as per Schengen guidelines before visiting Lithuania. Tata AIG offers one of the best travel insurance Lithuania plans that offer coverage for medical and non-medical emergencies.